2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Protecting network drives with password

I use a Windows XP PC to connect to a Windows 2003 Server Domain and map a drive to the PC, is it possible to request a password each time the mapped drive is accessed.
    The person who usually uses the PC logs on and has access to a mapped drive I don't want others to access, however, others come along to the PC for other jobs (scanning etc) and I want to prevent their access to this drive without having to log out the original user.
    Any suggestions?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Protecting network drives with password

Make sure that on the server a person which uses network drive has username and/or password different from his/her username or password on the workstation.

Then configure autodisconnect time on the server (as described, for instance, in KB297684).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

To be REALLY sure, you could create a virtual drive using TrueCrypt, and set it to autodismount it not used for x minutes.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The problem with this from what I can see is that the autodisconnect applies to everyone who connects to the server. If I shorten the time to 2 minutes for the person I really want to disconnect it affects everyone else in the same way.

I presume you mean that the person has to have 2 logins, the first, to login to the domain which DOESN'T have access to the shared drive I'm trying to protect and then a second which does have permissions to the folder - is this correct?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've had a quick look at Truecrypt, but it seems that this will always encrypt the data. The folder is shared by others whose machines aren't used by others, so I don't really want to add truecrypt to their machines just so it works for one person - and I guess if the data is encrypted I HAVE to use truecrypt to unencrypt/decrypt(?)
    John

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, it is.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you're on a domain, why can't you just assign the individual to a group, and set permissions like that?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have a problem giving the user permissions to a mapped drive - the problem is preventing others who use the same machine, logged on as the same person from gaining access to the mapped drive too.
    What I need is for the mapped drive to become unavailable unless a password is entered for it - and without reducing the automatic disconnect time for a mapped drive for all other users of the server.