4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Font Questions (XP)

1) I am saving a presentation using the option to save the fonts with it because I am using MS Reference 1 in the presentation and many people do not have that font. However, it is giving me an error message saying that it cannot save the font "MS PGothic" because I do not have it. The presentation came originally from someone else who, I assume, had the MS PGothic font. I see it as a formatting option. I want to get rid of the error message but I cannot find anything formatting with the MS PGothic font to change. Word can search for formatting but I cannot find anything in PowerPoint like this. Is there a way to find the font?

2) I have been searching everywhere for a font that has some statistical characters in it, especially a p-hat. (A "p" with a caret over it.) In spite of googling every way I can think of, I cannot find any. Any suggestions?

3) When I reapply a slide design to clear up objects, like text areas, that have been moved or resized, it also resets the fonts. Is there a way to reset the position and size of text objects without resetting the fonts, something like Control-Q in Word?

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Font Questions (XP)

1) Try Format | Replace Fonts.

2) You can insert a Microsoft Equation object to produce such characters.

3) Not as far as I know.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I can use the equation editor to produce the symbols and I do that for equations. But if I want to use just p-hat in a slide, it causes a lot of problems to use an equation object. If the slide is reformatted or the text area resized, I have to remember to manually move every single equation object. It would be a bunch easier if I could find a font with the few additional statistics symbols I need.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried this and the only option on the drop down list of fonts to change it to was Arial Unicode MS. When I used this font, the size of the file went up from 1 MB to over 14 MB and it took for ever to load and save. When I tried to replace it with Times New Roman it told me I was trying to replace a double-byte font with a single-byte font, what ever that means.
    Ronny Richardson

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could use Arial Unicode MS; this font comes with MS Office and contains a huge character set, among which various combining diacritics (accents).
    For example:
    - Type the letter p.
    - Select Insert | Symbol...
    - Select Arial Unicode MS from the Font dropdown at the top of the dialog.
    - Make sure that Unicode (Hex) is selected in the dropdown in the lower right corner of the dialog.
    - Replace the text in the box to the left of this dropdown with 0302.
    - Click Insert. The hat character ^ will be superimposed over the p.

There's a whole bunch of these characters, from hex 0300 to hex 0361. Some are placed above the character, others below it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.PNG (1.3 KB, 0 views)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That is very cool, thanks.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As I posted earlier, I really like this trick. However, I have run into a snag. It works just great at the office running XP. At home on one machine, also running XP, it does not work. I checked and it has a number 0301 and next to it an 0303 but no 0302. I tried looking at the font files to check and see if the size matched the one at work but doing a DIR ARIAL*.* did not show anything that looked like Arial Unicode MS. On my other home machine, running Windows ME, there is no Arial Unicode MS font installed at all.

On a maybe related or not note, when I attach the template I am working with on the work machine, I get the problems with the MS PGothic font. I am sure it is the template because I can create a blank presentation that does not have the problem but as soon as I attach it, I have the problem. However, if I attach the identical template at home, no MS PGothic problem at all.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See Description of the Arial Unicode MS font in Word 2002 - item #4 describes how to make Arial Unicode MS available.

As far as I know, MS P Gothic isn't provided with either Windows or Office XP. It is not on my PC.