New Lounger
    Thanks

Security Warning (Vista)

I just installed an app on my new Vista machine that causes a message: "An unidentified program wants access to your computer" when I click on the icon. I can click "Allow" and the apps starts and works fine. When the app installed, the icon has a shield on it much like the security shield. I have tried changing the compatibility properties in the icon to include run as an administrator. No luck. I have used the app for some five years at least without difficultly. Any suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Security Warning (Vista)

With Vista any time a program accesses restricted parts of the system that effects all users, you need to give your permission for the program to run. The only way around it is turning UAC off which I strongly recommend you do NOT do.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Had a similar issue with Forte Agent software. Solution was to install Agent into some arbitrary folder outside the Program Files folder. Often, older programs attempt to write information into their installation folder, and Vista is *very* protective of the Program Files folder.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Lounger
    Thanks

Here is a tip:
    If you have a shield in the bottom-right corner of your icon, the program is UAC enabled.
    If it does not have a shield in the bottom-right corner, it is not UAC enabled.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It appears that this program is NOT 100% compatible with Vista. Try right clicking the icon or the listing in the menu and select "Run As Administrator".

Let us know if this works?
    What program is this?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.