4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Moving the hard drive (xp2)

Hi all,
    I have an old PC which has windowx xp installed, is it possible to move the hard drive to a different computer, so I do not have to install windows again. I have plugged in the hard drive but it displays a blue screen and then the PC restarts, I think because of the drivers etc, but is there way to repair the installation and make this copy of windows work on the new PC?

Many thanks,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Moving the hard drive (xp2)

You will have to sort out any licensing issues before you do this, but there is a tool called sysprep that will create a disk that is suitable for cloning in this way.

StuartR

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

You can move the drive if you have resolved licensing questions (i.e. if you have XP from a hardware OEM such as Dell, HP, etc. it is licensed for the original machine only). The BSOD you get is because of the software layer that is built when Windows XP is installed. It is called the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) and is unique to the original motherboard vendor and model. If you have an XP installation CD you can do a repair installation and that should do it. IIRC, you need to start the install (boot from the XP CD) and then skip the first opportunity to repair and select the second one. Once the repair install is finished be sure to go to Windows Update.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

It could be the HAL, but I have also seen this caused by the need for a different driver for the boot disk.

StuartR

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

You're correct. It could be that. In any event I think you still have the chance to add a driver if needed.

Joe
    Joe