5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Timer to Monitor Time to Complete (W2003/2K)

I am working on a project and noticed that a form used in the past has the question How many minutes did you spend filling out this questionnaire? and it occurred to me there may be a way for the questionnaire itself to know this using some kind of timer events. I'm thinking, start time --> first edit; end time --> OnClose at the least. to be more complete, the Word doc should be smart enough to accrue all editing time on the same document opened and edited by a given user. In another project (Access) I used an API call to get the network ID of a user and could control/audit user interactions using that. I suppose the same thing could be done in Word, but that also means some kind of 'db' capacity to store the network ID in the doc. don't know if this is possible but it'd be cool if it was.

To summarize, is there a method to:
    1. Store IDs in a document across opens and closes
    2. Store a 'StartEdit' value and a 'Save/Close' value (time units)
    3. Accrue total editing time by var in (2) on var in (1)

The point of this is to get the system to report total time spent on the questionnaire rather than asking the respondent. I would like to ignore things like having the document open during lunch, etc. so it only tracks time actually editing.

Any ideas? I am exploring the Application.Document model now and will see about the idea that the document can store user info automatically and across open/closes.

TIA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Timer to Monitor Time to Complete (W2003/2K)

If you make the questionnaire a template, and let each user create a new document from the template, Word automatically keeps track of the time used to edit it; this can be viewed in the Statistics tab of File | Properties, and be read in a macro using the BuiltinDocumentProperties collection.

If you want to reinvent the wheel, you could define a variable of type Date/Time, set it to Now in the Document_Open event, then use DateDiff to calculate the difference between the value of the variable and Now in the Document_Close event. This would give you the total time a document has been open. I don't see how you could calculate actual editing time - even if you could come up with a workable definition (which I doubt). You could store the info in custom document properties, or in a text file, or in a database...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Timer to Monitor Time to Complete (W2003/2K)

thanks for the reply. deploying with a template is a good idea. my first cut at doing this was to use the field USERNAME to read and display the name of the person opening the form and DOCPROPERTY TotalEditingTime to read that deal. i sent it out to a co-worker and asked to let me know what she sees when she opens it. if her name comes up, cool. as to the editing time, i can stick with the MS Definition rather than just make something up. if i can do it all with already defined field codes, so much the better...