Super Moderator
    Thanks

Linking to AS400 tables using ODBC (2003 SR2)

I'm in the head-banging mode at the moment, trying to extract data from an AS400 system. We are able to connect to tables using ODBC, but most of the data appears as gibberish - non-printing characters and all that. Not surprising since the AS400 uses one of the variants of EBCDIC. I stumbled across the trick of using pass-through queries which seems for the most part to turn data into something readable. However I have some fields that appear to be some form of currency or Binary Coded Decimal that I can't get Access to make any sense of. Has anyone else encountered this kind of problem. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Linking to AS400 tables using ODBC (2003 SR2)

Don't know if this will be helpful (I have no experience with AS400 whatsoever, so it sounds like gibberish to me).
    <hr>CCSID 65535 character fields (SQL binary). DB2/400 and Client Access ODBC treat CCSID 65535 fields as binary. Some versions of Microsoft Access do not handle binary data types. If the field is incorrectly defined as CCSID 65535 then re-define the field or set the Client Access ODBC datasource option to force 65535 character translation. Check the "Convert binary data (CCSID 65535) to text" option located on the Translation tab of the datasource.<hr>
    (From IBM - Microsoft Access #deleted Errors)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Linking to AS400 tables using ODBC (2003 SR2)

Thanks - it sounds like gibberish to me too - I only need to know this long enough to pull their data into SQL Server and then I will forget I ever knew anything about the AS400. I think maybe I already have that set, but it certainly is worth checking. Unfortunately it is a 1980 vintage AS400, so ....
    Wendell