New Lounger
    Thanks

View documents in separate windows? (2007)

Hi. Can anybody tell me how to get Word 2007 to let me view different documents in separate windows? That is, I used in earlier version to be able to view one document on my left monitor and one on my right monitor. This was incredibly useful. Now I can only get two documents to sit side by side in the same window frame...which lets you see about 2-1/2 inches of each document. You can't pull the top document completely away from the bottom. Very frustrating.

I'm surprised I didn't find anyone else asking about this. That gives me hope it's just something I've missed, as opposed to something that is indeed missing.

[Aside: I'm so pleased to have gotten through this entire post without swearing. Believe me, I wanted to.]

Any assistance gratefully received!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: View documents in separate windows? (2007)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

- Click the Microsoft Office Button.
    - Select Word Options.
    - Select Advanced.
    - Under Display, make sure that the "Show all windows in the Taskbar" check box is ticked.
    - Click OK.

(In Word 2002 and 2003, this option was in the View tab of Tools | Options)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Wow, Hans, thanks a lot for the quick response.

I'm delighted to have my split screens back...but I had unticked that box because unticking it allows you to close all Word docs without closing the application. Arrgh! So apparently I have to choose...and I choose split screens.

But I liked it better when I could have both. =sigh=

Thanks again,
    Suzie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In Word 2002 and 2003, with the "Show windows in taskbar" option ticked, you can close a document in two ways:
    - Using the big x in the upper right corner of the Word window.
    - Using the smaller x below it, on the extreme right hand side of the menu bar.
    If more than one document is open, the two act the same. But if only one document is open, the big x will quit Word, while the smaller one will leave Word open without a document.
    Is that different in Word 2007? (I don't have it myself)

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm glad you asked! I was literally writing a correction when your reply came in.

After I got your first reply I walked over & told a colleague what I told you, about having to choose. But he showed me where I was wrong:

You can keep the application open without a document in it if you close it from the drop-down menu (where the big circle thingee is in the top left corner), not the X in the top right corner. Which I would never have thought of, because it's so clunky. But I can get around that by using CTR+W to close the document.

Believe me, I miss 2003. But our entire organization made the change, so it wasn't like i had a choice. And eventually there will probably be aspects of 2007 that will make it worthwhile, having to toss out years of experience and start all over learning the software again.

But meanwhile, it's a pain.

Best,
    Suzie