Thread: Wireless Newbie

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wireless Newbie

Hi:

I'm thinking of 'going wireless' - primarily for Internet access and Printers. Having zero experience in this area, I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a system/software that they have found to be good?

In particular, and coincidentally, I have just been sent an offer by Serif for 'Easy Wireless' at 9.95. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say from their experiences with that program?

Any advice appreciated.
    Regards,

Tony
    [s] [/s]
    www.SylviArtist.com

Thanks

Re: Wireless Newbie

Tony

I'm not really competent to answer your question, but it may be that you would be better to post it in the Networking your home board, not the Software finds and wants.

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

By the time you read this, I will have moved the thread to Networking Your Home.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You don't need any software to use wireless networking, just the Windows XP or Vista operating system.

You need to buy a Wireless Network Card for each PC that you want to connect wirelessly, most modern laptops already have these built in. You also need a Wireless Access Point, this is often combined with a router and a cable modem or ADSL modem.

Tell us a bit more about what networking you currently have, and how you connect to the Internet, and someone should be able to offer you more advice.

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't comment on that Serif application but if you were to take up the offer make sure you find all the tick boxes to opt out of there mailing lists and if you must give them an email address make sure it's a disposable one and not your main/regular address. I stupidly gave them my work phone number and they rang me every month for at least a year before they got the message I wasn't buying.

Of course this is just my experience/opinion others out there may have a happier story to tell.

Ken

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If I may make a small recommendation; I've found that while built-in wireless cards are nice by way of appearance for desktop PC's, they sometimes don't quite get the reception you're looking for (depending on location of the computer). I've wound up buying a high-gain antenna for my desktop, but doing research with a wireless USB device and USB extension cable I've been able to get comparable reception for (what would have been) half the cost. USB receivers are also easily transferable/replaceable if something goes happens to it.

As far as wireless routers go, your choice between G and N will be decided by how far you need to transmit/how many walls you're going through. If everything is going to be within 1 or 2 rooms of the router, a wireless G router should serve your purpose fine. If you're going upstairs/downstairs/out onto the patio (etc..) you may wish to spend a few extra dollars and buy an N. In G vs N, (most times, except in business applications) you're not going to use the faster speed of N, only the extended range.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the comments.

To answer Stuart's post, I have a laptop running XP pro, my partner has a Mac laptop with OS X. At present we have B/Band on USB and a couple of USB printers.
    Regards,

Tony
    [s] [/s]
    www.SylviArtist.com

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Will your ISP allow you to swap the USB modem for a Wireless router/modem? That would probably be the best option for you.

StuartR