New Lounger
    Thanks

Sleep Mode Issue (??)

Computer will not awaken after 'sleeping'. Can not reboot either, - goes right back into 'sleep mode' no matter which Keys or sequence I use. Not using wireless or USB mouse.
    I am using the latest Vista updates. I used the the 'Control Panel' to initiate the 'sleep mode' and since I can not re-boot the Vista machine I am posting this using my XP machine, which I also added the 'sleep mode' function without any problem.

Bill

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sleep Mode Issue (??)

Welcome to the Lounge!

To "wake up" the computer from Sleep mode you have to press Power button on the computer. After you pushed Power button, your computer is not restart, but resumes from Standby state. The later is much faster then the former. However, you probably was prompted to type your password and reconnect to VPN etc.
    You can adjust this option from Control Panel > Power Options > Advanced > Prompt for password when computer resumes from standby.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick response!
    If I simply press the Power button, I get no response from the O.S. I tried a slew of keyboard combos - still nothing. The PC just sits there, Power light on and fans turning.

When I had previously used the 'sleep' mode via the 'Start' button sequence, the PC would go into the 'Sleep' mode, the PC 'power" light would blink off and on indicating that it was indeed in the 'sleep' mode and all I had to do was hit any key. or move the mouse in order to 'awaken' it. to its normal state.

After completely powering down and then tuning the power back on, the PC does not go thru a FULL boot up process, nor is it in a real 'sleep' mode - the power light is on and steady - NOT flashing.

I'm starting to think, I have a HD problem and will have to put it in the 'shop'. I'll hang out here a little while longer and maybe I'll get lucky if someone else may have stumbled onto another solution. What would have caused it at that particular time, is way beyond me.

Thanks again,
    Bill

New Lounger
    Thanks

I callled 'Staples' on how to return PC and get a 'Return Authority' number and was connected to a 'Service Tech' to troubleshoot the unit.

I was told to disconnect all peripherals (which I had done earlier when I tried to find the culprit - even switched out my original keyboard) and he asked me to bypass my surge protector and plug the box directly into a wall outlet. To my surprise the Operating System started 'waking up' and was finally fully re-established.

I don't know why it worked, he mentioned some voltage drops.... yada-yada-yada. Anyhow, "Kudos to Staples Techies!"

Bill