Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Installation Problem (Vista Home Premium)

I suppose I should have expected it, but I'm trying to install Vista in a dual boot situation. I installed a new HD (It got installed as Drive E because my DVD drive was D, and this may be the probllem). Anyway, at one of the Vista installation reboots I get a long error message from "windows Boot Master" inticating that "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem 1. insert your windows installation disk and restart ... 2. Chose your languate settings and then click on 'next', 3. Click "Repair your computer."

I did the above, but I get the same result. I noticed, however, that somewhere in the repair sequence it seems that it expects Vista to be on drive D:. So I suspect that the boot to Vista is trying to go to D: when it should be E and that may cause the boot problem.

Any suggestions on a fix?

P.S. I wonder if there is a way to change the DVD drive to E and the new HD to D as that seems to be what Vista expects.
    P.P.S. I changed drive letters so the new Vista drive is now D, another partition is E and the DVD drive is F. However, I ran the suggested repair facility in Vista, but I still get the same result. I'm wondering if my next step should be to start up a new Vista install on D.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Installation Problem (Vista Home Premium)

Unfortunately, you did not provide the information how did you physically connect your hard drives. Logical assignments (C: , D: , etc) are not helpful.

Remember, Windows automatically recognizes hard drives in following order:
    - primary IDE drive on controller 0,
    - primary IDE drive on controller 1,
    - secondary IDE drive on controller 0,
    - secondary IDE drive on controller 1,
    - SATA drive on controller 1,
    - SATA drive on controller 2,
    - removable drives.

After you figure out how Windows re-assign drive letters on new configuration, you must make corresponding changes to boot.ini files on the root of BOTH your system drives.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

C is my primary IDE drive with XP
    D is now my secondary IDE drive with Vista
    E is the second partition on the secondary IDE drive
    F is the DVD drive

I find BOOT.ini in the root on C, but there is no BOOT.ini loaded on D (the Vista drive).

One thing I have noticed is that although I can access the D drive when running XP, when booting the BIOS doesn't show it in the list of bootable drives. I can't find it referenced anywhere in the BIOS. I suppose this could be why VIsta can't boot. I have no clue how to make the BIOS recognize the new drive as a bootable device. When I installed it I ran the installation program and selected the option on the primary partition to set it up as a bootable drive.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Problem solved!

After realizing that my BIOS hadn't recognized the new drive I poked around in the BIOS menu until I found where I had to effectively turn on the new drive. After doing that and rebooting the BIOS recognized the new drive and Vista now works fine on drive D. The dual boot option works great, so I can boot to either XP (default) or Vista. It may be a long time before I move over to Vista, but now I can explore it. The main reason to install Vista is that I manage computer training at the local senior center and I need to develop training materials for a new Vista class that we will be offering starting in January.

Thanks for your advice. All of you on the Lounge are an amazing and wonderful source of help.