2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Track Changes (Office 2003 SP2)

We create large numbered documents and will always discourage people from using track changes because of the problems that this can cause. However I have one user that is determined to use track changes, that now has an issue with a document that can be replicated on several machines. And he states that this regularly happens with him on track change documents.

This is a 50 page document with outline numbering throughout and a couple of restarts within different sections as well. When track changes are switched on and you delete out the text from one of the numbered paragraphs, you see this as a strikeout as you would expect. However further down the document (and not immediately afterwards) every outline number has a strike out and is replaced by another wrong number..ie if we had a section numbered 8, 8.1 8.2, 8.3, 8.4, 8.4.1.1, 8.4.2.2 and you deleted out the text from paragraph 6.3, 8 is redlined and replaced with 7, 8.1-7.1, 8.2-7.2, 8.3-7.3, 8.4-7.4, 8.4.1.1-7.4.1.1 etc. This then continues until you reach the section where the numbering has been restarted.

Now, what I have found is that is either:

a) you can turn off track changes and switch back on and all the numbering resolves itself
    [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] you can change the view from 'Final Showing markup' to 'original showing markup' and all the numbering goes back to normal
    c) Or, if you track change when Show Balloons - Always is on the problem does not appear at all, whereas if Show Balloons is Off or on for Comments/formatting the numbering problem returns.

If I were to reply to this post I would suggest that the user always showed balloons, or quickly fixed the problem by turning the track changes off then on again, however he is not interested and wants this problem to never appear on his machine or in his documents ever again...Is there anything else that anyone else can suggest??

Thanks

Alba

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Track Changes (Office 2003 SP2)

I don't think there is a solution that is satisfactory to your user. Outline numbering with manual restarts is complicated to keep track of in any case, and combined with track changes, it just becomes too hard for Word to handle. An action such as turning Track Changes off then on again forces Word to recalculate the numbering from scratch. While it would be preferable if Word work correctly all the time, of course, this doesn't always happen, whether you jump high or low.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me on this issue. Unfortunately I have come across a few more instances of this issue and I wanted to get to the bottom of it all. I've had a hunt about the internet and have been surprised at how little info there is out there regarding track changes beyond the scope of how to turn them on and how to accept/reject changes! Can anyone point me in the direction of any info (guides, papers, expert opinions) discussing track changes specifically within complex outline numbered documents (sometimes with multiple styles)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know of any such document.

My recommendation would be to avoid using tracked changes in a document with complex numbering (and to avoid it entirely if possible).