anyname@surname.ispname.co.uk.

Say for example that the friend's name Joe Bloggs. All emails directed to
    joe@bloggs.ispname.co.uk
    will be sent to my email account - but so will emails to
    fred@bloggs.ispname.co.uk
    nigel@bloggs.ispname.co.uk
    and even
    fluffyduckie@bloggs.ispname.co.uk
    in fact, anything whatever can appear before the @ sign.

When installing Mailwasher Free on this friend's PC I find that it is processing only those emails sent to
    joe@bloggs.ispname.co.uk
    and leaving untouched all the other emails address to <anything-else>@bloggs.ispname.co.uk

Please can someone tell me how Mailwasher Free can process ALL the emails coming into this email account, regardless of the To address? Many thanks!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mailwasher Free question

All questions on Woody's Lounge are free!

Why does mail addressed to joe@bloggs.ispname.co.uk get sent to your e-mail account? I thought this was your friend's e-mail address?

(I think your friend would need Mailwasher Pro, but hopefully someone else will come up with a suggestion for the Free version)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure what you are asking but Mailwasher free will only allow one account to be monitored. If you haven't seen this info page yet, here is a FAQ - See subtopic "Accounts" that might answer some questions.

"Peace begins with a smile. "-- Mother Teresa

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't looked at the free version ever since the Pro came out, John, but I did just take a look through the help files on MailWasher Pro and I don't see anywhere in there where you can setup wildcards for a given email domain name. Sometimes an ISP has a setup which will let you create "aliases" (i.e. your fred, nigel and fluffyduckie examples) and have all those aliases in turn sent to the primary email address, in this case joe.

I'm presently doing something like this on my domain by having a number of aliases which are sent to a primary (name)@alhoffman.org. I never reveal that primary name except to MailWasher Pro, which does prevent most spam. It's what I've referred to as my "throw away" system in that if one of the aliases gets picked up by a spammer, I can delete it.

It's quite possible I've been missing something in MW Pro, so wait to see if anyone else can add something.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hans: OK, so my editing of the original question wasn't perfect! Can't you tell I'm working on a wretched laptop?!

Al: the point about this ISP is that you can choose anything you like (which conforms to the email standards) to appear in the "name" field in front of the @ sign, and this is what spammers have done! There is almost literally no end to the possibilities that can be chosen for the "name" field - so that any email addressed to
    <whatever>@bloggs.ispname.co.uk
    gets delivered to the single email account
    joe@bloggs.ispname.co.uk.
    It is not possible to enumerate all the possible aliases that could be chosen, so I'm not sure that Mailwasher Pro will help (please tell me otherwise!).

Skitterbug: thanks for the pointer to the FAq - in fact I have it printed out by my side as I type!

My theory is that Mailwasher is examining the Headers of the emails sitting on the mail server, and only selecting those for processing where the To field is the same as the mail account name (viz. joe@bloggs.ispname.co.uk)... What I want is for it to select and process ALL the emails which are delivered to that email account, regardless of what the To: field is...!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What does he have in the username field for the account?
    Does he have "joe@bloggs.ispname.co.uk" or just "bloggs.ispname.co.uk"

I have a freeserve account and I don't have to specify the bit to the left of the @

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The official account name and the only one which is ever used is joe@bloggs.ispname.co.uk.

But as you are well aware, if this was one of the freeserve small collection of email address formats, whatever is put to the left of the @ sign does not matter (although I suspect there must be something, if only a single character).

Unfortunately the filters provided on the webmail facility do not appear to filter: out To addresses starting with
    3djoe
    joed
    joedd
    mail
    abdrge
    and so on before the @ sign, those being some of the ten or so 'first-names' which have been chosen by spammers (never used by Joe!), and which are the targets of a total of about 100 spam messages a day.

Mailwasher Free only seems to process the joe@ and 3djoe@ messages (so I later discovered from looking at about 50 sets of email headers!), leaving the others unprocessed on the mail server.

My 'theory' is that Mailwasher is matching characters from the right in the To: addresses and stopping when the correct number are found , which is why 3djoe will 'pass' whereas joed will fail.

With all these things you can only afford to spend a certain amount of time on a problem, so without any guarantee that Mailwasher Pro would handle this (admittedly unusual) email address format successfully, I will just have to leave it.

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Granted. I am using Mailwasher Pro, but I retrieve all my freeserve emails using the one account entry, which is set up as
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

IF your ISP is Demon in the UK, then I think they have an option to just collect email for a specific name, rather than the default behaviour of collecting anything to the account.

StuartR (ex Demon subscriber)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart: in fact the ISP is fsbusiness, but I don't see any option to do what you suggest. Orange technical support are the far side of useless.

The difficulty is in the terminology.<UL><LI>The email account is joe@bloggs.ispname.co.uk, but into this email account come emails addressed To: a number of email addresses, which are the same after the @ sign. <LI>Simply accessing the mail server via Outlook Express pulls down all the emails which have appeared for the Joe Bloggs account, regardless of what is in the To: field of each email. <LI>Mailwasher Free is not acting in the same way, but is processing only those starting joe@ and 3djoe@, leaving all others for that email account sitting untouched on the mail server.[/list]I can't see any way of dealing with this in Mailwasher, and have no idea whether the same 'negative feature' would exist in Mailwasher Pro.

How much easier it would be if the format of the email address had been set up by the ISP as joe.bloggs@ispname.co.uk !

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't use MailWasher (Free or Pro), so this may be way off, but does it accept @bloggs.ispname.co.uk as e-mail address? If so, it should handle all e-mail to the catch-all address.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hans

I had never thought to try that format, because I didn't think it was valid. Sadly any further experimentation will have to wait for a month or two, until my next visit...

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As I said in <post:=671,742>post 671,742</post:> above, MW Pro will not accept wildcards for an email address, i.e. *@alhoffman.org. But just to test Hans theory, I tried to create an email "account" using only the domain name, which I think is the essence of Hans' suggestion. MW Pro accepts the setup of an account, per the attached screenshot, but fails with an "authentication error" message when I try to check the mail at that account.

I think you're gonna be at the mercy of the ISP for some way to reject all "non-specified" names to the left of the domain name.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for experimenting - my suggestion was not based on experience, it's a pity that it doesn't work but it's good to know!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

All I can reiterate is that your friend should put bloggs.ispname.co.uk as the username (no need for an @, no need for any other name); and it will pull down all emails sent to the bloggs.ispname.co.uk mailbox.

I have tested it myself - if I use owen@xxxXXX.freeserve.co.uk I only download messages sent to that specific email address; but if I put the username as xxxXXX.freeserve.co.uk I get mail to all names viewable in Mailwasher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast