New Lounger
    Thanks

Repeat Find cancelling (2000)

Wood's Office Tips July 30 wrote about using Shift-F4 to repeat finds. This can also be done using Ctrl-PgDown and Ctrl-PgUp. Before executing a Find, Ctrl-PgUp and Ctrl-PgDown can be used to go to the top of the next/previous page in a Word document. After executing a Find, these keys execute repeat finds.

How can I get the Ctrl-PageUp and Ctrl-PageDown keys to go to the top of a page after I have executed a Find? In other words, after I am finished using repeat find, can I get the Ctrl-PageDown key to go back to its function before I executed a find?

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Repeat Find cancelling (2000)

In the bottom right hand corner of the screen between the arrows at the bottom of the scroll bar is a little dot. Click that, and up comes a 'select browse object' panel where you can choose between browsing by fields, footnotes, find, pages and so on. Or press Alt-Ctrl-Home to get the same panel to come up if you prefer key presses.

Ian

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. My first post on the Lounge and I get an immediate answer to a question I have asked several Word experts with no luck.

Also, thanks for the keyboard method. I didn't mention in my original post that I am visually impaired and have much better luck with the keyboard than the mouse. Thanks again.

scruff

How would you go about switching this feature off in Word 97 and 2000 (select browse object). It comes up automatically when you do a find and replace. I use the buttons at the bottom to scroll in my documents and do not want this feature on all the time.

Thanks

Some of the real Word experts may contradict me, but as far as I know you can't switch it off. If you do a Find then the buttons bottom right will repeat that find until you select them to do something else (like go to next page up or down) by the method mentioned before. I don't think you can stop Word changing what the buttons do when you execute a Find. Anyone know different?

Ian

Thanks

You can override the built in Word commands BrowseNext and BrowsePrev with macros.

<pre>Sub BrowseNext()
    'override default behavior; force a next page
    With Application.Browser
    .Target = wdBrowsePage
    .Next
    End With
    End Sub

Sub BrowsePrev()
    'override default behavior; force a previous page
    With Application.Browser
    .Target = wdBrowsePage
    .Previous
    End With
    End Sub</pre>

You also could query the current method and only change back to page after a find. However, the tool tip for the button will still say Find... after a find, so this isn't a very good implementation to roll out to other users. Nevertheless, maybe 'tis a good enough workaround for you.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Can you please explain how to query the current method. What I want to do is save the current Application.Browser status, run a macro that does a Find/Replace and then restore the Application.Browser status to what it was before the macro was run.

Thanks

Judging by the above code sample, you would save the value of Application.Browser.Target to a variable (it's a number; an integer should work). After browsing to where you want to go, you could set Application.Browser.Target back to its earlier value.

If all code will stop running between the time it is saved and the time it is restored, you'll need to sock it away somewhere. Let us know if you need ideas on that part.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

One way to switch off the repeat Find when using Ctrl-PgUp and Ctrl-PgDn is to use Ctrl-G (Go To). When the dialog box pops up, the default setting is for Page. In the box simply type "+1" and Enter. This will move you down in your document one page from where you are, effectively resetting the Browse By option to one page at a time. After hitting Enter and going forward one page, you can then tab over to the "Close" button and close the dialog box. Now Ctrl-PgUp and Ctrl-PgDn will work as they did before doing the Find.