5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Automatically adding accent marks (2003)

Hello all,

Does anyone know how to get Word to add an accent mark over the "o" on any word typed that ends in "cion" (e.g., nación)? Word sometimes does it and sometimes doesn't. I want Word to always do it.

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Automatically adding accent marks (2003)

That won't be easy. The AutoCorrect feature in Word acts on whole words, not on parts of words, so you'd have to add all words ending in "cion" (at least, those you use) to the AutoCorrect list.

If you're typing entire paragraphs in Spanish, the "Automatically detect language" option in Tools | Language | Set Language may help (I assume that these words are in the Spanish AutoCorrect list), but that won't work if you type isolated Spanish words in an otherwise English text.

Creating VBA code to handle this would be very complicated, and it would slow down Word.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you; how can I manually require Word to add the accent mark each time?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What do you mean by that?

Thanks

It works for me to add to the autocorrect list an entry that replaces some odd combination like @>< (that I would not otherwise type) with ción. So if you type Na@>< Word changes it to Nación.

Or if you are in fact typing whole paragraphs in Spanish you could create a style called something like Normal-Sp that was the same as Normal but had Spanish set as the language, hoping that Word would then use the right spellings.

Or, every time you type a word ending in cion that Word does not correct to ción you could correct it and get it added to the autocorrect list. You would only have to do it once for each word and Word would gradually build up a list of words that it would automatically correct in future.

Do any of these ideas help?

Ian

Edited to add

Or you could learn the key combination to get ó - see below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Ian, yes, this helps. I am starting to add the words into Autocorrect manually which is time consuming, but, in the end, I think it will start to save time. Hans: this is what I meant by my earlier post; I was looking for the Autocorrect feature.

By the way, Word doesn’t catch the errors and automatically insert accent marks, even when the template is set to Spanish. Word just underlines the entry lacking the accent mark with a red squiggly line.

To get Word to automatically add the accent, I have to manually put each word into the Autocorrect list.

Cheers,

JMT