Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Audio: DVD vs. CD?

This thread DVD-RW vs CD-RW sheds some light on the installation of a DVD or CD burner.
    I have (supplied with the laptop) "Nero Start Smart" (burns Audio CDs) and "ASUSTeK ASUSDVD" (burns Video DVDs).
    I have a vague understanding that I can fit much more audio (MP3s) onto a DVD disk than I can onto a CD disk, and yet neither nero nor Austek seems happy about transferring MP3 files to a DVD.

(1) Will a DVD disk hold significantly more music (in terms of play time) than a CD?
    (2) Should I be able to burn MP3 files to a DVD disk using either program (i.e. should both of them be capable of performing this task)?

As I type, I am using Nero to burn a CD for today's drive into the country, but being a novice, I am, as usual, uncertain of my path.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Audio: DVD vs. CD?

The storage capacity of a DVD is roughly 5 to 6 times that of a CD, so in theory you can store many more MP3 files on a DVD than on a CD.

However, while many recent CD players support direct playback of MP3s, many standalone DVD players don't.
    If you create a Data DVD and copy MP3s to it, you'll be able to play them on your computer, but not in a standard DVD player.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> The storage capacity of a DVD is roughly 5 to 6 times that of a CD
    Ahah. Thanks. So once I learn how to make software do it, I'll be laughing. Or at the very least, singing-along.

>but not in a standard DVD player.
    As usual I'll do a trial run in the Toyota's CD player ......

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Why can't I burn small chunks of data to a CD?

It takes a while for the truth to sink in. Obviously I don't spend a lot of time "burning" stuff onto plastic plates.

This afternoon I had about 24MB of ZIPped files to send to a colleague, by postal mail.
    I grabbed a CD-R 52x 700MB blank CD and tried to burn the files with Nero.
    No dice.
    Wrong sort of disc.

I re-tried with a DVD R-W 2x 4.7GB disk with apparent success.

I don't do it often enough to worry about the price difference between the two types, I'd just rather keep the DVDs for things like movies, or massive backups/archives of client data.
    Attached Images Attached Images