Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2007 can't save (2007-trial)

When I click on either Save or Save As, it opens the OPEN dialogue box instead of the SAVE box. I also noticed that in the open box, there are NO file types listed. When I click on OPEN, although it does open and let me open a file, there are NO file types listed again.

Also, when I click on either Open or Save or Save-As, there are no error messages, but there is the awful error sound.

I have tried repairing, and deleting normal.dotm wherever I found it, but it doesn't make any difference.

Thanks for any help!!!

Sheila

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 2007 can't save (2007-trial)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Could your trial version have expired? It's only valid for about 2 months, after which it can only be used as a file viewer unless you upgrade to the paid version.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the welcome!

I just installed the Office 2007 trial suite last week, and I have no trouble saving in Excel.

I still have Office 2000 on my computer (XP Pro sp 2). I don't know if that is part of the problem? I installed 2007 into a different directory. I went to the Knowledge Base but could not find any reference to the problem.

Maybe I should unstall and try again?

Sheila

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Before you reinstall, see Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word,197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word<!/post> for more things to investigate. It was written for pre-2007 versions of Word, so some things will be different, but the general idea should still be valid.

MSKB article How to reset user options and registry settings in Word may be useful too.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the links. I followed the instructions, but it made no difference. I then uninstalled just Word, and reinstalled it, but that didn't make any difference either. So I totally uninstalled the whole Office Suite, and, though hard to believe, Word still won't save. The exact same thing happens. Now I'm wondering if maybe the install file could be corrupt?? I'm really at a loss. I even tried calling Microsoft, but they won't give me any help because it's a trial version. I certainly won't buy the actual version if I can't get Word to work.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Thanks,
    Sheila

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Normally, I would recommend to uninstall Office 2007 once more, and then make sure that all references to Office are removed from the C:Program Files folder and from the registry before reinstalling. But with the presence of Office 2000 that is virtually impossible, unless you're willing to uninstall Office 2000 too...

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans--I'd rather not have to uninstall Office 2000. I thought I try to get another download and see if that fixes it. Otherwise, I guess I'll just give up on Office 2007.

Regards,
    Sheila

Lounger
    Thanks

I unistalled the whole office suite, deleted any references to Office 12 in the registry and in any files, downloaded a new trial version, installed it, installed the updates, and it STILL does the exact same thing!

Is there anything else I can try, or do I just have to give up on Office
    2007?

Thanks,
    Sheila

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm afraid I have no idea what causes this. Sorry. I'd do without Office 2007 until you're ready to switch completely.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

I found it! It was an old app I loved, xFilesDialog, which caused the problem. When I disable it, Word works fine, when it is enabled, the problem happens.

I really appreciate your suggestions and help, and I'm so glad I found the problem.

Sheila

Thanks

If xFilesDialog still is being distributed, perhaps you can get an updated version. You can't be the only Word 2007 user with this problem...

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I checked, and there is a new version that's supposed to work with Office 2007. I downloaded the evaluation version, but ran into a different problem. It saw something from my old version that made it think the evaluation time was finished, so I couldn't get it working. That's not a problem for here, but I will get that solved, and hopefully, it will work as advertised. It is a really great utility.

Sheila