2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Repositioning Drop-down Menu (Excel V2002)

A colleague has passed on a request for help from a client, so this could be like Chinese Whispers, but as I understand it the problem is as follows:

The client was surfing the Web one day and found out that it was possible to change the position of a drop-down menu from below and to the right of the menu name, to below and to the left of the menu name. Excited by this new find, he made the change.

Several weeks later, when he was getting particularly annoyed (that's the Bowdlerised version) by the new arrangement, he decided to change back to the default position, only to find that he had totally forgotten where he found the initial instructions. Investigation by the finest minds (well, OK, him, me and a couple of my colleagues) has failed to unearth any instruction within Excel or on the Web that allows him to return to the default position (or even the one he used to change the position in the first place). (Since I haven't sat in front of his PC, I'm working in the dark a bit here.)

To the best of my knowledge, no VBA was involved.

The client says the problem only occurs when he is logged in; other users of his PC don't have the problem. This leads me to suspect that there is probably a way to reset all his personal defaults somewhere (the Registry?) but I'm intrigued by how he achieved this situation, which will, in turn (I hope), help us find a solution that only resets that one condition.

Any ideas will be received with thanks and explored diligently!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Repositioning Drop-down Menu (Excel V2002)

As far as I know, the position of a dropdown menu is automatic: if there is enough space, the menu will be dropped down with the left edge aligned with the menu name, but if the menu name is near the right edge of the screen, the right edge of the menu will be aligned with the right edge of the screen. I am not aware of any way to change this, except perhaps by setting Windows to use a right-to-left orientation, but as far as I know that is associated with right-to-left languages such as Hebrew or Arabic. And it would affect all applications, not just Excel.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Repositioning Drop-down Menu (Excel V2002)

Hello again Hans -

The client gave up in disgust and decided to upgrade to Office 2007, believing that the problem would go away in the process.

However, I have just been informed today that he now has the problem in 2007, so I'm going to try and have a look at it; that way, I hope to report more accurately on exactly what is the problem.

Like you, I have never heard of what he is describing, so am curious to find out whether it is actually something quite different from what I have visualised.

Regards