New Lounger
    Thanks

word printing squashes up on left hand side (word

One of our secretarys has the problem that ogten when she prints out, all of the typing is crowded over to the left hand side of the page, effectively overtyping itself. It is random, but reasonably frequent.

Pretty well all her work is with the same templates, fonts etc, letters in a law office.

Any clues where I should look?

Thanks

Re: word printing squashes up on left hand side (w

If the documents print normally for others, my first suspicion would be damage to the font file(s) and/or printer driver(s).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Large screenshot reduced in size by HansV - please don't post pictures larger than 640x480 pixels

At last, someone else who's experienced this bug! At least three people at my company using Word 2003 (out of about 20) are suffering from this problem, and this thread is the first time I've found anyone else who's got it.

All three affected PCs are Dells (different models), preloaded with XP SP2 and Microsoft Office XP Basic Edition 2003.

Bug is not specific to a particular document/template.

It isn't specific to a particular printer (one woman gets it on both a Konica Minolta C250 copier/scanner/printer, and on a Kyocera Mita FS-1010N).

It doesn't strike every time you print an affected document. But when it does happen, as soon as the Print button is pressed everything formatted in Normal style collapses to a single column of characters against the left margin. Text that uses a different style (or Normal style text with say, bold applied to it) is unaffected (see attached screen dump - the text under the logo uses Header style). The effect appears on the printed page, and in Normal, Print Layout and Outline views, but not in Web Layout or Reading Layout which display as normal.

Any ideas as to what's happening?

Regards,

Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg x.jpg (32.0 KB, 1 views)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Some things to try:

1) Look for an updated printer driver.

2) Video driver/card:
    - Open the Display Properties control panel (either by right-clicking an empty part of the desktop and selecting Properties from the popup menu, or through Start | Control Panel)
    - Activate the Settings tab,
    - Click Advanced.
    - Activate the Troubleshoot tab.
    - Drag the Hardware acceleration slider a notch or two to the left.
    - OK your way out.
    - If that doesn't help, repeat.
    - If it doesn't help at all, you can restore the original setting.

3) Toggle the check box "Use printer metrics to lay out documents" in the Compatibility tab of Tools | Options...

4) Check out Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word,197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word<!/post>.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply!

As the bug is intermittent, it may take a while to discover which, if any, of these suggestions fixes it - I'll post back here when I'm reasonably sure one way or the other.

Regards,
    Peter

New Lounger
    Thanks

Update...

Sorry for the long delay, the bug didn't surface again until last week. I still don't know how to prevent it, but I have discovered a very quick fix for when it does occur.

You need to have at least two different printers installed. We are a company and have several different physical printers, but I suppose a home user could just install another dummy printer on LPT1 (it doesn't matter that it doesn't exist, you aren't going to use it to print).

When the text collapses, open your printers folder, right-click on any printer other than your default printer, and set it to default. If you have the Word document window open behind the printers windows, you will see the collapsed text magically restore itself as you do this. More importantly, you can now immediately change the default back to the original printer and the text stays formatted correctly (until the next time the bug strikes!).

Another fix is to either change the formatting of the affected text (say its point size, font, or bold/italic status), or select the text and use "Clear formatting" in the Styles and Formatting dialog, neither of which is as useful. Clearly there's some kind of obscure and intermittent interaction between Word's rendering code and the print drivers: perhaps my fix will help someone with a better understanding of Word's internals come up with a preventative measure. Me, I'm just happy to have a quick-and-easy repair that my non-technical users can cope with.

Regards
    Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried deleting your "default" default printer and reinstalling it?

Thanks

Peter,

While it does seem likely that this is some kind of printer communication issue, the thing that stood out for me in your earlier post is that this bug affected all text formatted with the Normal style, unless it had some attribute applied to it. Is it possible that the Normal style is somehow corrupting? Since it has happened to more than one person, this might also suggest that there is some common action or modification that may be at fault.

Did you try Phil Rabichow's instructions referred to by Hans above? They have saved me more than once in the past!

Good luck! Kim