2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Formatting cells with colored ovals (2003)

Hello,

I have an excel workbook with type of service going down the left side and month-year across the top. I am wanting to come up with a column to the far right that will show an oval that is either colored yellow, green, or red. The color will be dictated by the range of the final month-year value. So if inpatient unit cost for sep-2007 is between 2000 and 2500 then a green oval appears. If ip unit cost is between 1500 and 1999 then a yellow oval appears. If ip unit cost is less than 1500 then red oval appears. An appendix on another tab will house ranges for each category . What will be the best way to accomplish this task?

aug 2007 sep 2007 target
    IP 1500 1700 yellow oval

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Formatting cells with colored ovals (2003)

Do you really need the ovals? It would probably require programming to get the effect you want.

With conditional formatting you can color the font, the background and/or the borders of a cell depending on a condition. No programming is needed and the overhead is minimal.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi there

How about using conditional formating instead of using ovals or shapes

Assume your last column is H, and there is data in H2, Highlight cell I2 and then Format | Conditional Formatting. Type what is in the image below, and then drag down using the fill handle. This will colour the cell next to the last coloumn
    Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I would like the ovals. Is there a way to do a drop down list and have those 3 ovals appear as choices?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You can achieve the coloured ovals using conditional formatting, depending what fonts you have installed. Do as Jerry suggested, but instead of setting the background to the desired colour, set the foreground. Then use Insert>Symbol to insert an oval (if you can find one) - or just use an "o" in a particularly wide font - to give the desired effect.
    Waggers
    If at first you do succeed, you've probably missed something.