Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2003 Report Design Slow (11.8166.8172)

I am running Access 2003 SP3 on Windows XP SP2 with all service packs applied to both products. The Windows machine runs on Virtual PC 2007. The problem is that after several months of development the report design view becomes very sluggish. Nothing else is affected. The problem can be seen by moving the focus into a text control and then clicking the text control a second time to change the control source. If you click another control or click a different spot within the text control there is a long delay. The problem gets worse with time but is independent of the age or size of the mdb file. Also, network connectivity is not a factor. I also tried turning off Name Auto-correct but to no avail.

What I have found is that the problem is related to the Windows User Profile. If I open one of the affected mdb files as a different user the problem goes away. I have rebuilt my own user profile, which also fixes the problem. These solutions are impractical, though.

Has anyone else experience this same issue? Does anyone know of a better fix that what I've found?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access 2003 Report Design Slow (11.8166.8172)

Is this a split database design? If so, it might be a good idea to develop the report on a copy of the database that is not split, i.e. forms and reports in the same database as the tables and queries. The development database should be stored on a local hard disk, not on the network, preferably.

Have you tried switching printers?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Something else: designing a report based on a crosstab query is extremely slow, unless you have explicitly declared the column headers for the crosstab query (in the query properties window). This is because Access has to execute the crosstab query each time to update the list of column names.

Lounger
    Thanks

The database I was using before rebuilding the profile is split but I suspect that's not the problem. I removed the network card from the virtual PC and that made no difference. The reports aren't crosstabs. Once is a very simple mailing label based on a linked table. Just as slow with or without the network card and rebuilding my Windows User Profile fixed it.

I suppose it could have something to do with the printer driver, assuming something changes on the user profile over time with respect to the printer driver. I was wondering if it had to do with NTUSER.DAT or CLASS.DAT but I have no good way to test that because I'm also an administrative user.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2002 uses a file acwzusrt.mdt, it's stored in the (hidden) folder Cocuments and Settings<username>Application DataMicrosoftAccess. I think the name is the same for Access 2003, but I'm not 100% certain.
    This file slowly grows over time. If you rename or move it, Access will automatically recreate it next time you use a wizard. I don't know if it will help, but you might try renaming or moving the file (while Access isn't active) to see if this speeds up designing reports. If not, you can restore the original version.

Lounger
    Thanks

I've edited this post, in case you already looked at it before I hit the Post It button. The file you named is not on the machine. All that's there now is the System.mdw file. However, when I was messing with the problem yesterday I did rename a file that was in that location and though I don't recall the name I believe it was the file you mentioned. Anyway, renaming the file made no difference.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Oh well, it was just a vague idea.