New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows updates - restart over and over (SP2)

Hello.

Last time I used windows updates, I clicked the little thing to "Restart Now" so the updates can take place. But once the computer restarted, the little Restart box still pops up. I ended up turning off Windows Updates to avoid having the box popping up all the time, but now I could probably use some updates, but I can't because of this. I've probably restarted some twenty times since the box first popped up, but it still comes up unless Windows Updates is turned off. Anybody know how to fix this?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows updates - restart over and over (SP2)

Click Start > Run, in Open box type

chkdsk /r

and hit Enter. On the next window confirm your choice and restart your computer.

Repair process takes time - please be patient.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the help, but once I did that, the problem continues. Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

Can you give us a little more info about the "Restart Now thing"?
    Any other clues or indications?
    Can you get a screenshot of it?

It sounds like an incomplete or corrupt update.
    Can you do a System Restore to before the update was made?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, is Windows wanting to restart because it is downloading and installing the same update over and over again? I have a problem with this on a windows update patch, and had to mark the patch not for install to stop windows bugging me?
    Thanks,

pmatz

New Lounger
    Thanks

More info:
    Ya know how when you install Windows updates, it then asks you to restart, and if you don't restart this box keeps popping up every ten minutes or so? The box says this exactly:
    The title bar reads Automatic Updates, then it says "Updating your computer is almost complete. You must restart your computer for the updates to take effect. Do you want to restart the computer now?" and then you can click "Restart Now" or "Restart Later" But regardless of when I restart, the box always comes back once my computer boots up.

And I don't think a system restore would be effective because this first started months ago. Once it started, I just turned off Windows updates so this box wouldn't keep popping up. But then I recently turned Windows Updates back on so I could see if there were any updates available, but I still keep getting this box.

I was hoping there would be some simple solution, but it looks like that may not be the case. I'll just leave Windows Updates turned off until I find a solution.

Thanks

Try this:
    After turning Auto Updates back on.

Open [Command Prompt] (Start>Run>cmd>Enter) and type the following command sc stop wuauserv . This will not prevent Automatic Updates from starting at the next boot. So don't worry, you'll keep getting Windows updates. Just don't forget to restart eventually.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

See Re: Windows Update continuously reports restart required for something to try. Even though the thread is about Win2k it should apply to XP also. You can also check out some links at "windows xp" update continuous reboot - Google Search to see if they have any useful info.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Viking, I did that, and the dos window came up with some information that looked like this:

SERVICE_NAME: wuauserv
    TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
    STATE : 3 STOP_PENDING
    <NOT_STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,IGNORES_SHUTDOWN>

There were a couple of other things, too. But once I restarted, the problem continued.

I also tried following that link and deleting the registry entry, but when I restarted, the registry entry was back, along with the Restart box.

Thanks for the help guys, but I think I'll just disable Window Updates and not worry about it. i won't let Microsoft get the best of me.