3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

loss of pconfig (Win XP SP2)

My older PC is running Win XP. I don't use it much -- mainly for a second HP scanner, since HP told me that my experience in being unable to get two HP scanners working on one system is what I should expect. However, after returning from a vacation (the pc was off during the vacation) I have been unable to use the scanner and, in trying to fix this, I have been unable to use some utilities.

The original error message occurred when booting the pc. The initial screens seem okay, except that I get an error message I receive the error message "An error occurred while trying to open pconfig." I also receive a message "ZoneAlarm Security Suite has deactivated Anti-virus scanning. This can occur if the system clock has been set forward or antivirus updates are disabled." I can use my scanner, but when I try to transfer the image to a program, the program list is empty. My ZoneAlarm virus files will not update. I am unable to use the disc check utilities. After working with the system for a while, I was "able" to get another message: "Fixed Disk 0: Maxtor ...." on start-up.

Is there any hope for this system?

Thanks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: loss of pconfig (Win XP SP2)

I hope your PC was REALLY off during your vacation (power cord was unplugged). Anyway, everything can be fixed.

Turn on your computer. Logon to your account as usual. Then shutdown ZoneAlarm (right-click ZoneAlarm icon next to the clock in the lower right corner and choose Shutdown).
    Set your computer clock to the proper time: right-click the clock, choose "Adjust Date/Time", on the next window click "Internet Time" tab and click "Update now" button.
    Start ZoneAlarm (click Start > All Programs > Zone Alarm > ZoneAlarm Security). Wait until ZoneAlarm starts and open ZoneAlarm Security Center (right-click ZoneAlarm icon next to the clock in the lower right corner and choose Restore ZoneAlarm). From ZoneAlarm, update ZoneAlarm itself (Overview > Preferences > Check for Update), Antivirus and Anti-Spyware components.

PCONFIG is part of VERITAS StorageGuard Tray Application. To fix it, follow
    sgtray.exe - sgtray - Process Information

If it does not solve your problem, try to reinstall your scanner software.

THERE IS ANOTHER WAY to solve your problem. Try to restore your previous Windows configuration by running System Restore (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore). In the matter of fact, try it first, and if it fails, adjust computer time settings etc.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your rather complete list of suggestions!

The pc was not unplugged during my vacation. However, each of my pcs is plugged into a separate UPS.

I had tried system restore previously -- just an error message comes up.

I removed the Veritas software and rebooted. The symptoms remain the same:
    - on start-up, the "Fixed Drive" message is displayed; I have to hit Del to finish the reboot.
    - the same ZoneAlarm clock message comes up, even though the date and time are correct.
    - clicking to update and reactivate scanning (ZoneAlarm) gets the system going; antivirus still does not update ("The task encountered an error") or run.
    - I can scan with my scanner, but not store the results, as the "save to" list is empty.
    - attempting to run the system disk scan (thourgh the device manager or through the troubleshooter) produces an error message: "AP GTS reports an Error - Possible invalid data received.'

Other ideas?

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Make sure that you have a backup of all the data on that driver you want to keep. It seems as though you've got a severe problem. It could be a power supply, motherboard or disk issue. The 'Fixed Drive" message is NOT good. Have you powered down the PC and then opened it to check the physical connections? A good cleaning will most likely be in order too.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks -- I didn't think it sounded good. And it repeats that message -- and the others -- every time I reboot.

It will be several weeks before I can take the pc out and apart for the actions you suggest -- travel, etc. C'est la guerre.