Silver Lounger
    Thanks

CBS Logs (Vista Ultimate)

Hi

If I run sfc /scannow I get to 99% OK and the mesasge Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix
    some of them. Details are included in the CBs.Log windirLogsCBSCBS.log for example, C:WindowsLogsCBSCBS.log. but windows will
    not allow access to it. even with Full Adminstrator rights. I can't see the point of telling you to read a log if it is not accessable.

OK you can copy it into notepad but it's a huge file in my case something like 21,127KB

Then you get at the end of the log that it has been successfully repaired, which is contadictary to the above. See below

2007-10-24 13:23:16, Info
    CSI 00000157 [SR] Verify and Repair Transaction completed. All files and registry keys listed in this transaction
    have been successfully repaired

Regards

Braddy
    If you are a fool at forty, you will always be a fool

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CBS Logs (Vista Ultimate)

I can't see the point of telling you to read a log if it is not accessable.

Your log files are accessible as read-only. You (and programs running from your user account) can not delete or modify them.
    To enable such options, you have to get log file ownership (run explorer.exe with elevated Administrative rights and open file properties).

All files and registry keys listed in this transaction have been successfully repaired

SFC stands for System File Checker. Log files are not system files and have not to be checked. And all your system files were, indeed, repaired.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi kaplinb

I ran explorer as an Administrator, (I am unsure what you mean by elevated Administrative rights and open file properties or in fact how to do this) and it still says Access denied. on the other hand I had no problem deleting these files. on reboot another is created.

Regards

Braddy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Run with elevated rights means right clickinf the .exe file and selecting "Run as administrator". To check file permissions and take ownership right click the file and select Properties. Then click on the Security tab. You can see (and change) the permissions for each user as you click on the user in the top part of the window. Then click the Advanced button. Then the Owner tab. That is where you can take ownership if needed.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe

Thanks for the explanation, I've got to grips with it now.

Regards

Braddy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Good. You must remember that with Vista even though your userid is a member of the adminstrators group your are NOT "the administrator". That is important as certain functions are reserved for "the administrator".

Joe
    Joe