Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Book Fold Printing Issues (Word/Office 2007)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Do you have Adobe Acrobat (or another program that creates PDF files)? I've always found it a lot easier to print booklets from a PDF file (in Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader) than in Word.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi...and thanks for the welcome and suggestion!

Word 2007 actually has a PDF print setting where I can save the doc as a PDF without actually having Acrobat software. Unfortunately, I already tried that and guess what...it didn't help. Printing is still the same.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Book Fold Printing Issues (Word/Office 2007)

I have a complete phone directory for our organization set up as a merge with the data in one file and the master doc as a table (each person/entry is its own table). Now I have a merged doc of 300+ pages. The page setup is as a book fold on 8 1/2 x 11 letter-sized paper, landscaped, which when printed should fold in half with page 1 on the left and page 2 on the right of the same piece of paper (and so on)...just as a regular booklet.

When I went to print, it prints page 1 on the left half of the landscaped piece of paper, and then prints page 2 on the right half of ANOTHER piece of paper (and so on)! Is this a 'known issue' or problem? Is there a work-around or fix? Can someone explain how to get the pages to print the booklet correctly?

Oddly, I also make a church bulletin each week on 8 1/2 x 14 set up also as a book fold and have not had one problem! The bulletin is 4 pages (1 page on each half of the paper and then page 3-4 printed on the reverse) and prints just fine. So I don't think the setup is the problem as I do this often.

Any thoughts or suggestions? THANKS!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps this is a peculiarity of Word 2007, which I don't have yet. I hope that someone who has can come up with a suggestion.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could try just printing the document directly, without the bookfold setup.

I created a Macro, attached to post <post:=420,687>post 420,687</post:>, which will take a document set up as standard full size pages, and print it as a booklet. See if this works for you.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ahhh...yes! 2007 is a bit quirky!

On the "print 2 pages per sheet" setup, it will not print any graphics with that page setup. A work-around I have come up with is to set up as a normal page, but then separate into 2 equal columns. Kind of the same thing as the 2 page per sheet option, but this way it will print graphics. Go figure!

But generally, I like 2007. It takes some getting used to with the new 'ribbon' and toolbars, but after that it is easy to use. If you ike bells and whistles, then 2007 is a great option. But if you like the 'plain Jane versions" of things, then 2007 would drive you nuts...it is that much more enhanced.

Thanks for trying. I WILL solve this even if I end up in the nuthouse and drive myself crazy. ;-)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not really sure I understand your problem - because if you have 300 pages, printed 4 per sheet (on both sides of the paper), I would expect page 1 (front cover) to be on the right of the first sheet, with page 2 on the left of the reverse side. Page 3 would be on the right of the 2nd sheet etc.

Anyway, ignoring that distraction; this is just to suggest you have a look at the 'reverse print order' selection in Tools | Options | Print.
    I had problems once when trying to print into a booklet once because I had reverse print order selected when I was trying to print on both sides of the paper.

New Lounger
    Thanks

StuartR,

With what versions of Word might this macro work?
    And how do I make it work?
    Sorry so dumb.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The macro was written for Word 2003, but I would be surprised if it doesn't work with most versions from 2000 up.

To make the Macro work you need to include it in a module in either your Normal.Dot, or a Global Template, or the document you are trying to print.

For an explanation of how to use this information to create your own macro, see Star<post:=21,373>post 21,373</post:>

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Stuart R.

I'm trying to do this in Word 2000. What I've done is copy & paste your macro into a new VBA module. It is now listed as a macro called "printbooklet" in "all active templates and documents". With my intended doc open, when I run the macro, it stops at the section with the message about 4 pages. [MsgBox "This macro will only work if you have a multiple of 4 pages in your document", _] The error box says "compile error: syntax error". Do you suppose it's an issue with Word 2000? Or did I do something wrong? (Remember I don't really know or understand these macros.)

This seems like such a great idea. Does it reduce the text size? Assumed answer is yes, so by how much? I used my printer option for booklet as suggested by another, but it reduced it way too much.

Booklet is 44 pages.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The code in StuartR's attachment looks double spaced when I view it, I suspect that causes problems.
    I have attached a document with a working version of the macro, you can copy the code from the module in your document into a module in your Normal.dot; it will then be available in all documents.
    The code prints two pages of a document on a side, so the size is reduced by a factor 2.
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

Module works! Thanks.

BUT it's much too small. About the same as the printer's booklet option. Any way around that?

I think, probably not.

Probably have to do the best I can about converting the doc to 5.5 x 8.5.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The only options Word offers are 1, 2 or 4 document pages on one side of the paper, i.e. 100%, 50% or 25% of the original size. If that is not suitable, using a custom paper size is probably the best workaround.

New Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to make URLs clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

Thanks, Hans!

OK, let's see if I understand this.

Even if I buy/use Word 2007's book fold feature, my 8.5 x 11 document will still be reduced 50% when trying to produce the 5.5 x 8.5 booklet. Right?

What about saving to PDF document? There seem to be posts that indicate more flexibility with size with that. How does that work?

I'm not sure I understand the using a custom paper size to achieve my goal. Can you explain that?

I've used the bookprint guide from http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...etPrinting.htm as well, this one from http://www.printemfast.com/flowchart.htm. Neither works with my 8.5 x 11 document as they give error message about margins, etc. not being correct.

Thanks for any help here.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Whether you use Word or a PDF viewer such as Adobe Reader to produce a booklet, they will reduce your text in size by 50% if you print two pages on one side. You can compensate for this by using a larger font size in your document.

The various possibilities mentioned in Booklet printing on the Word MVP site are mostly intended for people who still use Word 2000 or earlier, since Word 2002 and later have this feature built in.

The advantage of using the built-in booklet feature or any of the custom solutions mentioned above is that it will take care of calculating which page goes where.

If you specify a custom page size of 5.5" x 8.5" with margins of 0.5", Word may complain about the margins because some printers (in particular inkjet printers) don't allow you to print so close to the edge of the paper. For example, on my Epson printer, 0.5" is OK as top, left and right margin, but the minimum bottom margin is .55". Word will offer to adjust the margins if you set them too small for your printer.

A paper size of 5.5" x 8.5" will let you print the text at normal size, but it'll be a hassle to organize the printed output into a booklet.