5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

problem with windows calendar (vista home premium)

For the second time this week my son's laptop has said the parental controls prevent it being used at this time - but this is just not true. The time in both cases is within the limits set by the parental controls.

First time was Monday 22 Oct in the morning. When I got home the problem had gone away in that my son's account let him in again but Vista did report a "problem with Windows calendar" during boot that evening. Vista said it would shut down the application and tell me if there was a fix but the silence was deafening. Before I acknowledged the error mesage I could see wincal.exe as a process in Task Manager, it disappeared after I OK'd the error. Second time was today but I won't know more details till I get home.

During the machines first time run / set up / Admin account creation I set the time zone to GMT and the clock in the system tray of the user account I subsequently created looked to be telling the correct time (GMT+1because we are still in DST). The parental controls seemed to work correctty as well because I deliberately left it running at the cut off time just to see what happened, it duly logged the user account off at the expected time.

Then last week when my son displayed a clock in the sidebar that seemed to be set to pacific time. Sure enough, in the control panel, the time zone was incorrect so I changed it to GMT. I've read something on the MS web site about DST and calendar's and things being wrong because someone changed the beginning and end times of DST and we are getting near the end of UK summer time so I suspect the lock out problem may be related to this in some way.

Any suggestions?

Other things to note:
    1) the laptop runs in complete isolation, it is not networked and has never been connected to the internet - I know this means it is not fully patched
    2) because it is isolated I've turned off anything I've come across that may want to auto update/talk to the outside world, including the time synchronisation
    2) it could be that this 'issue' has been around since the laptop was bought in early Sept and just not been seen before because until this half term holiday my son has always been at school at 'problem' times.

Ken

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: problem with windows calendar (vista home prem

The time zone problem seems to have been fixed by just rechecking and resetting the time zone and clocks to the correct time. The change from BST to GMT went OK.

As for the bit about Windows Calendar, this looks like the answer:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933942

The advice is to wait for a service pack, if it's not critical, i can do that.

Ken