Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Toshiba Laptop Turns Off Suddenly

Sure hope there's a Woody's guru here who can help. I am totally stumped. Our 4 year old Toshiba, which we operate almost exclusively on AC aside from once a month when we switch to battery to run it down, suddenly beeped twice this morning (it was on but I wasn't working on it at the time) and turned itself off. I powered it on to check if it was still on AC. It was but the battery, instead of being at 100% as usual, registered 31% and, as I watched, 3%! I closed the lid and it went to sleep.

I'm now hoping to get this message done before it dies again. It now registers full AC, but 17% battery and the battery light on the front is amber.

Any ideas what's going on? This has never happened before and this is our sole computer for our business.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Toshiba Laptop Turns Off Suddenly

Youi probably need a new battery. Sometimes a battery goes bad after a while, without a discernible cause.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The battery may be going South and may need to be replaced.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is a third vote for the problem being a battery that needs to be replaced.
    These can be reasonably expensive items, especially if bought from the manufacturer.

Paul

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you all. Sounds like a consensus. May be a silly question, but do I need a battery if we're always on AC? If so, is there a way to check the health of the battery before springing for a replacement (cost is definitely a factor!)?

By the way, it's strange but right now, for some reason, the battery is back at 100% and the amber light is green!!??

Thanks again to all of you for getting back to me so quickly!

Linda

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

"do I need a battery if we're always on AC"
    Maybe not. Check in your computer's manual to be sure. Many (perhaps all ?) modern laptops do not need the battery to run on AC. I know that some older ones did need the battery in place to run on AC.
    If you run without a laptop battery you might consider buying a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) to protect both the hardware and your data. It should cost less than a new laptop battery.

The best way to check the condition of the battery is to use it as the power source for the computer and see how it performs - how long can you use the computer before discharge, how long does it take to charge, is the battery warm (ok during charging and use, but not when fully charged and system off) or hot (should never be), are there any warning lights or beeps when using the battery only, ........ Electrical measurements can be done, but you need some instrumentation and parts.

If the battery is back to full charge then the diagnosis may be different . Lets see what happens as it runs and cycles.

Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to the other suggestions, you may be able to locate a program to 'condition' the battery. Lenovo has a program for their thinkpads, maybe Toshiba does too?
    Christopher Baldrey

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Wow! No matter how often I come to the Lounge for help, it never ceases to amaze me with the quality of the help the Loungers provide!!

I will check the Toshiba Web site to see if there is a "conditioner" and also report back as to what's happening now the battery seems to be back up!

Thanks again!

Linda

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

This is mostly a reply to Paul and his suggestion that the diagnosis might be different given the battery being at full charge.

I've monitored the situation for the past few days and can't understand it (but am glad): the battery remains fully charged, does not seem unduly hot, is cool when off and is working just fine. Should I just forget about it until - or if - it happens again or what do you think?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Advent Laptop Turns Off Suddenly

Conicidentally I also have a laptop which will suddenly power off for no obvious reason (high temperatures are not related, according to SpeedFan) and the battery is nearly dead (says it will last 8 minutes when fully charged). As expected, nothing in any Event Log.

I found an obscure and unintelligible power option in the BIOS which I've turned off, and I've now taken the battery out, and it has worked fine on mains power for 3 hours. Whether that has 'fixed' the problem, I don't know, but a new battery is over 60... (Yet another reason why I hate laptops!)
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I would use the computer as if the battery were perfect and see what happens. Your recent experience is encouraging.

The most common condition when your battery discharges with the ac adapter plugged in is that the adapter is NOT plugged in correctly. One of the four possible connections can be the problem (plug into wall, ac plug into brick, dc plug into brick (some are permanently connected), dc plug into the laptop ). The last one, in particular, happens frequently as the connector can easily be pushed in, but not all the way. A clue as to whether or not this was your situation is to recall if your malfunction happened within a few hours of having run the computer on the battery only - perhaps to discharge it. It that was the case then having one of those four plug-in problems is likely to have been the cause. Now that has been corrected and all is good. If not, then run, wait and watch is the recommended procedure. If it happens again it might help to know the model # of your computer.

Paul