Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

SyncToy 2.0 beta

For those who are willing to use beta software (for Vista & XP) see Download details: SyncToy v2.0 Beta. From the download page:

"We have collected feedback from the discussion forum on the Windows XP Professional Photography web site, from customer feedback surveys, from a large number of professional and hobbyist photographers at Microsoft, and from various world-wide forums, sites, reviews and blogs on the web. Based on your feedback, the following features were added to this release of SyncToy:

Dynamic Drive Letter Assignment: Drive letter reassignment will now be detected and updated in the folder pair definition.

True Folder Sync: Folder creates, renames and deletes are now synchronized for all SyncToy actions.

Exclusion Filtering Based on Name: File exclusion based on name with exact or fuzzy matching.

Filtering Based on File Attributes: The ability to exclude files based on one or more file attributes (Read-Only, System, Hidden).

Unattended Folder Pair Execution: Addressed issues related to running scheduled folder pairs while logged off.

Folder Pairs With Shared Endpoints: Ability for folder pairs associated with the same or different instances of SyncToy to share end-points.

Command line enhancements: Added the ability to manage folder pairs via the command line interface.

The SyncToy engine has been rearchitected to provide scalability and the ability to add significant enhancements in future releases.

Sync engine is also more robust insomuch that many single, file level errors are skipped without affecting the entire sync operation.

Sync Encrypted Files: Sync of Encrypted files works when local folder and files are encrypted, which addresses the common scenario involving sync between local, encrypted laptop PC folder and remote, unencrypted desktop PC folder.

64-Bit compatibility

Folder pair rename

Sub-folder Exclusion Enhancements: Descendents creates under excluded sub-folders are automatically excluded.

Folder Pair Metadata Moved: Folder pair metadata removed from MyDocuments to resolve any issues with server-based folder pair re-direction setup.

Removed combine and subscribe actions. "

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SyncToy 2.0 beta

Thanks, Joe - I use it to synchronise important folders between two PCs as 'backup'!

I didn't spot any reference to localisation of dates and times, though, so looks like the rest of the world has to continue to accept the US date/time format. A small point among such facility, fortunately...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks

Often I think it is unfortanuate that we in the US have to accept that format. Did you post any feedback concerning the date/time format?

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Joe

I think I mentioned it last time SyncToy was discussed on the Lounge, and I may well have commented back to the team, but the Lounge response was that you got what you got given!

Off upstairs now to try it, first having used SyncToy 1.4 upstairs to copy upstairs the SyncToy 2.0 that was downloaded downstairs. (Easy for me to remember - Downloads happen Downstairs...!)
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks

I meant post feedback at the MS Photography site.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, that's (half of) what i meant, too!

I note that SyncToy 2.0 has a prerequisite of SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition (presumably what used to be MSDE?), and that if you want to upgrade from SyncToy 1.4 you should synchronise all your folder pairs before installing 2.0...

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Anyone know why they would remove the 'Combine' & 'Subscribe' actions? This would seem like the products being downgraded and not upgraded to me.

Any thoughts?

Ed C

Administrator
    Thanks

I don't use the software so I can't say. Perhaps the functionality is provided in another way. In spite of what many peoply think Microsoft does pay attention to what users say so it could be that functionality was redundant, no used often, confusing, etc. Compared with the other additions and changes, one persons downgrade could easily be worth it to someone else.

Joe
    Joe