2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Undo Windows Desktop Search Update? (XP SP2)

This is from PC Pro, Oct 25, 2007:

"Microsoft has come under fire from Windows XP users who have found an unwanted update installed on their machines. Windows Desktop Search has reportedly been installed automatically, even on computers set up to update only existing programs... many claim [it] is slowing down their PCs. Those who have tried to uninstall the program have not only been forced to restart, but have found that Windows again attempts to install the program unless specifically told not to."

I think am one of those who has been unwillingly updated as my computer suddenly has slowed way down (my anti-virus software says I'm clean, by the way). How can I uninstall Windows Desktop Search, and specifically tell Windows not to reinstall it?

Any advice much appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Undo Windows Desktop Search Update? (XP SP2)

Windows Desktop Search is a program that you must download and install. Once it is installed then the Updates will be down loaded when you check for them.

You should be able to go to the Control Panel, Add and remove programs, and uninstall Windows Desktop Search from there. Once this is done you should NOT get any more updates for it.

I have NOT installed "Windows Desktop Search" so I am guessing at the above removal.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Windows Desktop Search 3.01 update is flagged as an Optional update, not a Critical update, so it shouldn't be installed automatically, unless you're on a corporate network and the admin has authorized updates to Windows Desktop Search previously.

See Microsoft rebuts rogue WSUS reports and BetaNews | Quandary: Is Windows Desktop Search Installing Itself?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Have you used Task Manager to see what process may be using 'taking over'? How about some specs on your PC?

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks