New Lounger
    Thanks

Configuring user profiles on a single machine (XP 64 bit)

All-

I have multiple users on one machine ranging in skill level from novice to advanced all of whom need to be protected from themselves which is why when installing applications I want to limit who can see and access what applications and grant all of them access to common applications without having any conflicts. Can someone point me in the right direction where I may find this information or provide me with instructions on how to accomplish this?

Thank you.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Configuring user profiles on a single machine

One way would be to modify the Program Files relevant folder's ACL (Security tab).
    Remove the default /USERS entry and add only the users that are required to access the program, giving them the 'Modify' permission.
    Then customise each of the User's profiles to have the relevant shortcuts on the Desktop/Start Menu, removing any other shortcuts that may have got put in the All Users profile.
    Thanks,

pmatz

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Configuring user profiles on a single machine (XP 64 bit)

It may take some trial and error as many programs written for XP are assumed to be installed by a user with administrative rights (which should be done anyway). Additionally, many programs written for XP will not work correctly when executed by reduced rights users. That is they try to modify in some way folder contents that a reduced rights user normally would not have access to.

Joe
    Joe