Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

LAN connections (Vista Home Premium)

Vista certainly is fickle. Initially, although easily connecting to the Internet, it wouldn't recognized the rest of the LAN in my home. Finally, I got it to reset the network and managed to connect to my wife's computer and the shared printer on her machine. However, today i booted up Vista and I'm back to no recognition of the LAN. Even after running the diagnose and reset a couple of times it still doesn't recognize anything on the LAN except the Internet connection. Any suggestions as to what's going on here?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: LAN connections (Vista Home Premium)

Check the NETWORK name, it may not be the same on the Vista machine as on the others. I have had to change this on ALL Vista installs.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Vista is certainly a puzzle. I believe I have the proper network name established, as I had to leave the computer for a few minutes. When I came back Vista was connected to the LAN and I had access to all shared files on the other computer. HOWEVER, I tried to connect to the shared printer on the other computer, and although it indicates that the printer has been successfully installed and the printer shows up in the Network window -- it won't print! The print jobs never show up in the print spooler. So something is preventing the print file images from being transferred to the other computer. I've looked around at just about eveything, but found no help. I suspect it relates to some of the security settings in Vista, but I have no idea where to start.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The blocking could be on the printer host machine, check out the firewall settings on it.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think so. My computer dual boots Vista and XP, and I can print from the XP partition just fine. Actually I once was able to print a test page from Vista, but no longer. Vista seems to have a mind of its own when it comes to connecting to other computers, files or folders. I think it's the permissions thing within Vista. They have increased security to a level that has become very bothersome.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

On the Vista PC search Help & Support for "home network" (without the quotation marks). You should get a substantial list of things to read one of which should be how to network PCs running different operating systems.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

This article and this article might be helpful.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

One of the articles had this quote: "Note It might take several minutes for computers running previous versions of Windows to appear in the Network folder." I certainly found that to be true. However, there is precious little help regarding accessing a printer on another computer on the net other than go through the Vista Install New Printer routine which I have done repeatedly. The only hitch I see is whether Vista is seeing the right permissions on the computer with the printer which is running XP. The XP machine has been setup to share the printer, and I can access it from my machine when running XP, but when I boot into Vista I can't access it. I still feel that something within Vista is blocking access, but I have no idea what.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Can you see the printer in the Printer control applet on the Vista macine?
    If so, right click the printer and select "Connect".

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I may have run on to an answer. Somewhere on the MS site they mention that to use a printer attached to another computer you need to have the Vista driver installed on that computer. However, MY other computer is running XP and, of course, has the XP driver installed for the printer. I have an inquiry into the printer company to see if there is some way to handle this so I can print from either computer.

Administrator
    Thanks

Can you post a link to the MS site? If the driver is written specifically for Vista it is likely to be unable to be installed on an XP machine. Even if it is a multiple installer package it will detect XP as the operating system and install the XP version.

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks

Often a printer vendor will have a driver package that will allow you to install the XP driver but also have drivers available for other OSes. You may need to specifically indicate that you want the other drivers 'installed'. They are then available when you connect from another PC. Have you updated the drivers for the printer? BTW, what is the printer?

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I have both driver files, so I could install the Vista driver on the XP machine if there is some way to have them both. I'm using a Samsun ML-2010 laser jet installed on my wife's XP computer. It's a neat small unit that prints 22 ppm, and I got it on sale at Fry's for about $50 (with rebate). I coudn't turn it down. However, I subsequently discovered that a new cartridge costs about $75. Of course, that's good for about 3000 copies. I have an old Epson ink jet on a print server which works when I boot my machine up on XP instead of Vista, and I'm thinking that perhaps I should put the laserjet on the server. That way I shouls be able to install the appropriate driver on the Vista and XP computers. I can then put the ink jet on the wife's XP machine, as there is no Vista driver available for it anyway.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can add additional drivers from the Printer properties on windows XP.

StuartR
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (33.9 KB, 1 views)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by Bigaldoc to add URL code.[/i] See the Quick Guide, or the 1-Click TagPanel, or even <!post=this StarPost.,438749>this StarPost.<!/post>

Hi Joe,

Here's the link: Windows Vista Help: Troubleshoot network printer problems

I suppose it makes sense that the driver should be installed on the host computer. However, that may make it difficult to access the printer from two differens OS's. I'm waiting to hear if the printer manufacturer has any suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast