Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Vista 64 Bit (vista ultimate 64 bit)

Generally, you need to make sure that the programs you install will work in a 64bit environment. You should not install any 32bit programs to the "Program Files" folder. They should be installed to the "Program Files (x86)" folder. You probably ought to visit the program vendor/creator site and see if there is any information about running with a 64bit version of Windows. Are you asking about a specific program?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jessej84 on 27-Oct-07 01:22. )</P>Thanks for the fast response. the programs in question. Sophos anti root kit. lavasoft's ad-ware 2007 and spybot are the main ones I am haveing problems with. so far Vista has been real good about installing all 32 bit programs in the programfiles x86 file folder. I have followed your sugestion and double checked. however one of my games is supported by 64 bit (sole reason of building this monster) it has caused a crash as well. my idle temps are 28 c mb and 30 C processor. during gaming it will hit 38 to 40 c not bad for a amd athlon x 64 6400+ at 3.2 gig. I am running an ASUS Crosshair bord with 4 gig of recomended corsair mem and dimond ATI HD2900 vidio cards. I have had problems finding out much about 64bit systems. I cannot find it metioned very often if at all and most software suppliers do not mention it at all. I did forget to mention that the blue screen of death. pops up every time. the only two records ( I tend to write things down when i have problems) is system_service_exception and IRQL_not_less-or_equal I have reserched both and cannot find a difinitive answer on either.

Administrator
    Thanks

Installation On Vista 64bit? - Lavasoft Support Forums has the definitive answer - wait until later.

For Spybot you should search the Spybot-S&D - Safer Networking Forums and post a question there. They usually respond quickly.

Sophos Anti-Rootkit: overview does not mention it being compatible with any Vista version.

The BSOD issue with IRQL_not_less_or_equal is almost always a driver error. Quite often it is for the video card. A couple of the links in BSOD system_service_exception - Google Search point to video driver issues also. Check the ATI site for a newer driver. Also visit their support forums to see if this issue is mentioned.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info. I will do and come back and post the results. thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well. I have the most up to date drivers I can get. I have the pogs that are compatable with vista 64 still having problems. I did get a new error message in the blue screen. memory managment. I checked my compatablitly and even removed a few. no dice. so am I to await the release of sp1? or is there hope?

Administrator
    Thanks

Maybe you are having an issue with RAM. How much do you have installed? Can you remove one stick and see what happens? If it is the same remove that one and put the first you removed back in and test again.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>ASUS Crosshair bord with 4 gig of recomended corsair mem.....

With that much RAM, you shouldn't have a RAM problem.

It may be that you've got an unexpected program causing problems. Try uninstalling every program that you're not absolutely certain has 64-bit compatibility. You may find something you haven't thought of yet.

HTH
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

thanks Joe. but like I said. I removed and tested all ram and re-installed one stick at a time. all are seated well, I even tried diffrent slot locations. I have four. a1 a2 b1 b2 I took two sticks and played till the misus told me to come to bed.
    (that is pretty late) I will try removing the programs one at a time. thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks

treid removing everything that was not working properly. found somethings here and there and downloaded some newer betat driver. still haveing the same problems it just takes longer. thinking of doing a clean wipe and reinstall everything. but windows problem reporter is saying no problem. does anyone know if there is a anti-rootkit that will work with vista 64 bit?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"I have the most up to date drivers I can get"
    BUT are they Vista drivers?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jessej84 on 28-Oct-07 19:30. )</P>I have installed all vista 64 bit drivers. some are beta. did some testing. waiting for some feedback from ASUS on SLI memory and chip-set drivers, AMD and ATI for processor and graphics card drivers. it seems that there are not many of us running 64 bit machines yet. thanks for all the help I will keep monitoring posts and leaving input as I find new solutions. So far everyone has been right on the money. system is rating a 5.7 out of a possible 5.9 on the vista system rating gadget. just gotta figure out the crash problem

New Lounger
    Thanks

To all I have found a soulution to my crash and blue screen of death problem. it was memory related. it seems that with the ASUS MB i am using the memory controller is for SDRAM even though I am using DDRII. the controller clocks the mem at 2.9 volts with the extream tweeker set to auto or default it feed the memory 1.2 to 1.4 Volts wich is too low. I set things to manual and set my ddr2 to 1.9 v and term volt to 0.95 this seems to have stablized the system, still waiting for a responce from ASUS to confirm my fix will not damage the corsair memory and if they are aware of the poblem or do I have an Isolated case. thanks to all those who helped.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Vista 64 Bit (vista ultimate 64 bit)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jessej84 on 03-Nov-07 23:08. )</P>well I finally made the plunge and built an up to date system. I have checked all the hardware compatablilty. No problems there. have several programs that cause Vista to crash. I get the blue screen of death. the screen never gives a reason. I have tried installing several bot programs including sophos. (Woody your books are usually a god send) I seem to have problem getting them to run. either they crash the system or I get a pop up stating that the progam is not designed to run on a 64 bit envioroment. I concider myself to be a hobbiest but lack alot of knowledge. any help would be apriciated. thanks.
    I thought it might be nice of me to edit and post the soulution to my problem instead of making everyone read everything. keep in mind my soulution only will work for those who use an a ASUS Crosshair MB
    To all I have found a soulution to my crash and blue screen of death problem. it was memory related. it seems that with the ASUS MB i am using the memory controller is for SDRAM even though I am using DDRII. the controller clocks the mem at 2.9 volts with the extream tweeker set to auto or default it feed the memory 1.2 to 1.4 Volts wich is too low. I set things to manual and set my ddr2 to 1.9 v and term volt to 0.95 this seems to have stablized the system, still waiting for a responce from ASUS to confirm my fix will not damage the corsair memory and if they are aware of the poblem or do I have an Isolated case. thanks to all those who helped.