Thanks

Template values not sticking (Word 2000 / Win 98)

Morning All,

I've got a template that I use to create report documents. Its in the process of development (mainly finalisation of styles) but each time I open up a document based upon this template (assigned using tools / templates and add-ins), the normal style has reverted to what it was originally.

Also, when I use the style organiser to move styles between templates and / or click the 'add to template' checkbox - it doesn't look like my template gets updated (the modified date doesn't change and word has stopped asking me about saving changes to the template).

I'm working in a company that has several global templates - could this be the cause of my normal style being over-written?

Also, as an aside - is there a way of disabling the doc-link feature in tables of contents?

Cheers,

Tim
    (Location Australia, then UK, but now USA. Heart, outlook, attitude, etc always Australian)
    Quote: "All Happiness is the release of internal pressure"

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Template values not sticking (Word 2000 / Win 98)

Try [b]Tools|Templates and Add-ins| Automaticallay update document styles[b]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Timbo:
    1, How are you creating a document based on your template? You should be using File/New, not Tools/Templates & add-ins....

2. When trying to copy styles between templates, are you sure that you are copying between the correct templates? The Organizer defaults to showing the active document & the normal template. You may need to close one or both to copy correctly. Or you could use Guy Gallo's macro to change the default behavior of the Organizer. See <post#=147954>post 147954</post#>.

3. It is possible that Auto macros are changing the normal style; you would need to look at the specific templates to know that.

4. As far as the "Add to template" & Organizer not changing the styles, I don't know---other than you must have a document based on that template open when you "Add to template" (i.e. the attached template).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

er, um, I don't think I'd recommend "automatically update styles."

If more than one person will be editing documents, automatically updating Styles is probably not a good idea...unless everyone is very well trained in Word features. This option automatically adds any direct formatting change to the Style definition...you can see how that might be a problem.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's true. It might make sense to update styles and immediately thereafter turn the update styles off, so other users do not change the style definitions.