3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

clone IBM laptop drive

I have cloned laptop drives this way before and had no problems. but.....

I use norton ghost to prepare an image file for the entire disk and put it on an external drive, create a boot CD including the drivers for the external device. verify the image from windows, then again from DOS. I install the new internal drive, reboot from the CD then bring the image file back onto the new drive. It has always worked.

I have just tried to do this for the first time for an IBM laptop. and this time the PC hangs just after the initial splash screen with a flashing cursor top LH corner of the screen. I made no attempt to do anything special about the hidden partition. The drive is a straight Fujitsu PATA drive with no jumpers, and not endorsed with an IBM sticker. The BIOS setup shows the right drive in the startup screen, but there is no reference to it anywhere else. It is definately there, and loaded with files because I can see it from the ghost bootable CD.

Is there something special that I should have done because it is an IBM drive with the hidden partition?

Thanks for any help,

Mike C

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: clone IBM laptop drive

I have found the answer, and publish it here to help others with the same problem. I am using ghost 2003, I believe the terminology changes with later versions, but that somewhere in there there are all the same facilities.

When making the ghost image file, you need to put it somewhere. An external drive is ideal, and all you have to do is make sure that you include the relevant drivers when making your image file. The trick that I have found with my IBM drive is to include the command line switch "-IB" when you make the image file (without the quotes).

Having made and verified the image file, restart the PC with the ghost boot disk floppy or CD, and use the ghost navigation to get to "image to disk". It ran and then booted fine. If I find any more problems later, I will post them in this thread.

BTW, ghost 2003 does not offer to make a boot CD. I prepared a boot floppy and then burned a CD from that - very useful for laptops as they increasingly do not have floppy drives. When booting from the resulting CD you will reach a point where it says it cannot write to drive A. Respond with a "FAIL" and all will be well.

Happy cloning

Mike C