Thread: Unknown fonts

3 Star Lounger
    Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Unknown fonts

I seem to have acquired a couple of dozen fonts that I can't get rid of. They have names such as @BatangChi, @MS PMincho both with and without the leading @ and those without the @ show in e.g. Word's font list. X-fonter lists them as Truetype but will not let me delete or uninstall them. They appear in the Windows/Fonts folder as.ttc files but show as having modification dates back in 2004.

Has anyone come across these before and suggest how I can clean them off my system.

I run XP Pro

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Unknown fonts

Check out http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/handson.../LngCol_EA.aspx as this may help in how you got them.
    And if you have any of "System Languages" installed may be why they (the fonts) can not be removed.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I just stumbled on Font Frenzy. Haven't tried it, but it might be of some help. It claims to have some "unique" features for uninstalling fonts.

Alan

3 Star Lounger
    Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Thanks guys. No font tool has managed to remove these although, Alan, your suggested tool is an interesting one for the pen drive. I see that these are MS fonts and suspect that they've been 'activated' in some way that has left them uninstallable.

I finally eradicated them by getting rid of the .ttc files and then going through the registry removing all references (usual backups etc taken). That seems to have done the trick.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have any .TTC files in my Fonts directory, but here is a little information about them.
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...