3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Email warnings (Mozillia1.7.13)

Yep! I am still using Mozilla 1.7.13 and it is working just fine for me. Lately tho while reading or sending Email I frequently get a pop-up window "COM Surrogate has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
    Then there are some references to "AppName:dllhost.exe AppVersion 5.1.2600.2180 " etc.
    When I click on the "Close" button it disappears and everything goes on quite normally and I don't seem to lose anything.

Any comments appreciated

Thanks

Re: Email warnings (Mozillia1.7.13)

Frequently?? Are these plain text messages or might they contain some media content that requires using a player DLL? Or could it be that your software has been exploited? Despite its comfortable familiarity, Mozilla Suite is believed to be riddled with security flaws (see, for example, the flaws patched in Firefox since the release you are using). If at all possible, you should migrate to SeaMonkey (for a suite solution) or Firefox + Thunderbird.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok as usual This Lounge is the BEST. Been considering SeaMonkey. If I make the switch will my adress book and files transfer over?

Thanks

I use Firefox, so I haven't installed SeaMonkey myself. This is from a post on the Mozillazine forums:
    <hr>SeaMonkey is the same product as the Mozilla Suite. The first time you use SeaMonkey after installing it, it will automatically use your Mozilla profile. Some people recommend installing SeaMonkey to the same folder where Mozilla is located. This way your plug-ins and extensions will be recognized. My preference is to install SeaMonkey in its default location. Then I copy the plug-ins (except npnul32.dll) from the Moz plug-ins folder to the SeaMonkey plug-ins folder. <hr>
    Of course, a backup of the profile folder is always a good idea.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK. I have now installed SeaMonkey. When I tried to IMPORT my address book from Mozilla it only gave me the options: Eudora, Outlook, Outlook Express, and ldif--- etc. There was no provision for importing from my Mozilla address book. I imported from Outlook Express which I haven't used in several years and some of those are out of date and many current ones are missing. Also I haven't been able to figure out how to get all my current mail files and folders shifted to SeaMonkey. I don't understand the option "ldif etc"? Where do I look for those files(addresses)?

Thanks

Rather than import, I think you copy over your existing mail and address book files, bookmarks, etc., from your old profile folder to your new one. However, as noted above, I have not performed this operation.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Since I started this thread away back in October, I've stayed with Moz 1.7.13. AND after reading all the posts on the SeaMonkey Forum and on this Forum it seems people are having a LOT more trouble with Firefox and Thunderbird and SeaMonkey so I'll just stick here for awhile longer.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Support forums are for people who are experiencing problems. The vast majority of people do not have problems so do not visit the forums to post there. It is your choice to stay with the old Mozilla Suite but you should be aware that it has lots of security holes.