New Lounger
    Thanks

next paragraph -- same line (2000/sr1)

In MS Word 5 (for DOS) there was a useful paragraph style option "same line as previous paragraph" whereby you could format things like "enumerations with details", with the heading in a column to the left and the details with sufficient left indent appearing to the right of the heading, and on subsequent lines.

just with styles, and without faffing about with ugly things like tables. I can't find the corresponding feature in Word2k, does it exist or a feature that would achieve the same?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: next paragraph -- same line (2000/sr1)

Do you mean a hanging indent?
    egghead

Thanks

If you hide the paragraph end marker the next paragraph will wrap up to the end of the previous line. I've seen this trick used for something, but I can't remember what.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This trick is used to enable inclusion of run-in headings into a table of contents, without bringing the rest (i.e. non-heading part) of the paragraph into the table of contents.

For some templates at work, I built a little custom dialog for marking these.

I didn't know that there was a built-in feature to do this in earlier versions of Word (I started with Word 97), but just read in an article by Donna Payne in the latest issue of MS Office Pro magazine, that in Word 2002 there is a feature called the Style Separator, that can be used for just this purpose.

Gary

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Apart from what Gary has pointed out, I have used this trick for several other purposes:

-- Create a Paragraph font instead of a character font and get the effect of a character font
    -- put more than one short footnotes on the same line
    -- Hide extraneous paragraphs which come in when I automatically convert XML tagged files to editable Word "galley" file without affecting the ability to convert it back to original XML format
    -- Manage a "single paragraph" with varying leading (i some obscure circumstances when that was needed) while still using "exact" line spacing for the styles

and so on

Thanks

Could someone put an example document here, this sounds interesting, but I don't understand what you are talking about

Thanks in advance.
    Greetings,

Patrick Schouten
    (The Netherlands)

Thanks

Tables aren't ugly, if you treat them right. See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/tables.htm> Tables in Microsoft Word</A> for more on tables. The key thing for appearance may be to get rid of the borders (lines) in the table. In versions before XP, pressing Ctrl-Alt-U will clear all borders from a table so long as the insertion point (cursor) is in the table. (Don't know about XP.)
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin