5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Prompt Report (2003)

I trying to construct a prompt report. The prompt would involve 2 fields. The fields are Client manager and the other field is ASM. If it is the ASM number, I want to pull from the ASM field and pull those records. If it is a Client Manager number, I want to pull from the Client Manager field and bring up those records. Is this at all possible? I want a prompt to appear that says enter your code number and if it is an ASM enter that code, if Client Manager enter that code. Where would I put this prompt - which field?

I have another prompt question - I have a prompt - Like [Enter District Number or Enter for ALL ] & "*" . The problem is the field has numbers like 1, 11, 18 etc. If I put a 1 in, I get 11 and 18 etc. I know it is because of the Like but I want them to be able to press enter to get the whole report. Is there a way around this. Sorry for the dual questions.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Prompt Report (2003)

1) I'd create a form with a text box in which the user can enter a number (or perhaps a combo box from which the user can select).
    Also place a command button on the form to open the report. In the code behind the command button, determine what kind of number the user entered, and specify a WhereCondition accordingly.

2) Try this in the Criteria line:

[Enter District Number or Enter for ALL ] Or [Enter District Number or Enter for ALL ] Is Null

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am not sure how to do number 1. Isn't there a way in the query I can put a prompt in Client Manager that says [Enter Client Mgr number or enter if ASM] and then the prompt in the ASM field can open?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can create parameters (prompts) for two fields in a query, but a form is more user-friendly.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am back and this time I think I should go with the form for my prompts. I need step by step directions if that is possible. I have to have two prompts. The first prompt is Employee Number. Then I need a prompt with Rep Number. They put in their employee id first and then their rep number. In the query I think I should put the following in the criteria =forms![formname]![controlname]. How do I do this for two prompts. What should the code be for the form, button on the form to run report etc.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you want the users to type in the employee number and rep number, or do you have a table that lists all employee numbers and a table that lists all rep numbers? If so, you could provide combo boxes (dropdown lists) from which the user can select them. This reduces the probability of mistakes.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is a little bit of security for running the ultimate report. They should know their Employee Id and their rep no so no one else can run their report. I am thinking I have this form that has two text boxes to enter each parameter and then that =forms![formname]![controlname] for the criteria in the query for each field. Then have a button on the form to run the report. Is this all I need or am I way off.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Your description sounds OK. Go for it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It seems to work but how do I clear the numbers so that the next time the form is open the text boxes are blank?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If the user closes the form, the text boxes will be blank next time. (The text boxes should not be bound to a field)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help. You are correct....