Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

DAT tape not recognised

This is more likely to be a software matter than hardware, I suspect.

On rare occasions, when I have to restore files from a backup DDS-5 4 mm DAT tape in a SEAGATE DAT DAT72-000 SCSI Sequential Device using Microsoft's NTBackup "Restore" component, the tape cartridge just inserted is not recognised and all the backup tapes on the list show as Offline. So it is impossible to perform the restore or even to catalog the tape.

The drive came with Certance "Tapeware" software, but I'm not using this (except for, perhaps, the drivers?). W2K3 is at SP2 plus all more recent fixes, but the problem has existed for ages.

The only solution I have found is the fairly impractical one of rebooting the server, but there must be a cleaner way of releasing the tape drive (if that's what the problem is).

I've had a look at the Removable Storage Manager (via JSI Tips 3460 and 6574) but I am completely unable to work out how you find the GUID and/or Friendly Name for a tape drive in the condition I describe!

Can anyone assist? Thanks!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: DAT tape not recognised

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by joeperez on 31-Oct-07 15:12. added rsm syntax)</P>John,

Have you checked for updated drivers? Can you get it to label a blank tape? Was a there a tape in the drive that needed to be ejected (and how did you eject it)? Did you try "rsm view" from JSI Tip 3460?

For instance: "rsm view /tdrive /desc /guiddisplay" on a win2003 server here lists the dvd & tape drives.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Joe

Updated drivers: there is a newer version of STDATW2K.SYS at v1.14.3.0 which I haven't yet applied; the current version is 1.11.0.0 dated 28 Aug 2004.

No problem with tape labelling otherwise.

The previous tape got ejected (I think) by the overnight run of BackupAssist/NTBackup, or possibly I pushed the button on the tape drive if the "tonight's" tape had already been put in - don't remember which.

The RSM VIEW command you specified gives:
    Drive 0 AFE6A982F77E4E69B7EE0A95E1E0034C SEAGATE DAT DAT72-000 SCSI Sequential Device
    (with several blanks after "SEAGATE DAT"). Presumably the GUID starts AF and the "Friendly Name" starts "SEAGATE", but is this name the entire character string including the embedded blanks?

Thanks!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

John,

Well, an updated driver is usually a good thing. But, you may have to reboot the server (not a good thing).

I was just thinking that if you could label any old scratch tape and eject it. That may free up the drive so it would recognize your backup volume.

The GUID is the AF... string. I don't know if the friendly name is "Seagate ... Device" or "Seagate... 000" or some other combination but I'm pretty sure it includes embedded blanks.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Joe

The nub of the problem was that it didn't recognise that there was a tape present in the drive!

Rebooting the server is no great problem at 07:00, since I have a sneaky Exchange ShutDown BATch file which removes all those infuriating timeouts, and so the whole event takes less than 15 minutes.

Ita, esto, quidcumque...