Thread: Works reinstall

New Lounger
    Thanks

Works reinstall

I recently purchased a new computer. I wanted XP Media edition on it, but was told by several retailers that it was no longer available so I had to get Vista. I was given the option by Dell to also buy XP Professional for an additional $350. So, reluctantly I got Vista and it's awful!!! After 15 problems and incompatability issues within the first month, I had the demon exorcised and installed XP. Of course, that brought a host of problems as all the apps and drivers were victims of the operation. I've gotten the non-Microsoft ones back but, I can't get Works. I called MS and they said I could buy it from them. I just did, installed on the new computer along with the Vista joke and then bought another XP. I resent having to buy it again. In fact, I'm so annoyed with MS that I resent having to buy anything else from them.
    I have many files in Works saved on the old harddrive and disks which I need to use.
    The backup dics I made won't work without Vista. I have recovery discs from my other XP computer but can't find Works files.
    Can anyone tell me the names of these files so I can install only those on the new computer- OR how to get into the recovery part of the hard drive to reinstall Works. ...Or any other way to get Works back on.
    Thanks, Marie

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Works reinstall

Even if you had the list of files, you still need to run the setup.exe file to do the install.
    These files will do you not good.

I have been running Vista since Beta and yes there are issues with it as with any new OS. Most of the issues are NOT with Vista but with the older software and hardware, and some OEM (including Dell) did NOT package there systems very good.

You should have given it more time to learn for you to learn about it before throwing everything away.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Works files usually have a WPS file extension. If you do a search for *.wps it should turn up the location for you.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Welcome to the Lounge!

It's a pity you abandon Vista before you ask for help in our Vista forum - I believe almost all your problems can be solved, one by one.
    Just remember, Microsoft Backup from different versions of Windows are incompatible with each other!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, I'm very happy to be free of Vista. Incompatability issues couldn't have been worked out according to MS. I just had to go without the other software which I used or wait indefinitely to see if they choose to make patches available.
    The only "should of" that is valid here is that I should have gotten the new computer just a few months sooner.
    So, there is no way to get and use all of my Works documents?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You are going to have to get a copy of Works and install it on your new machine and then after transferring your Works documents you can use them like you did the past.
    OR, find someone who has Works and have them convert your data to what type of files that you have software that you can use.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.