Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

mail merge styles word (2000)

I just replied to a client comment with the text below, and would be pleased to hear how close y'all think I am to the truth. We are running a mail merge using Merge051.doc as the mail merge template. We do post-processing of the documents, extracting formatted text from Reasons051.doc and use (VBA) "rngSearch.FormattedText = " to insert formatted text from Reasons051.doc into the output dicuments.
    The output documents are supposed to incorporate the styled formatting from both the mail merge template () and the auxiliary text ().

Obviously if two styles have different colours, one of the colours will not be available.
    The same should be true for any other exclusive font characteristic e.g. font name or font size.
    The same should be false for any other inclusive font characteristic e.g. italic or bold.

TA> I looked into why the formatting wasn't showing up, and it is because of the style in place in those spots. That said, do styles in the merge document override the styles/formatting in the reasons document? If so, I will have to remove any font styles applied to the merge fields as necessary. In the reasons doc a few words in each of the reasons text and the sections text will need to be italicised.

Here's my experiment:
    In Merge051.doc
    I set Normal paragraph style to Blue
    I set csB character style to Dark Blue.
    The text now appears as Blue and Dark Blue.
    Saved and closed the document.
    In Reasons051.doc
    I set Normal paragraph style to Orange
    I set csB character style to Dark Orange.
    The text now appears as Orange and Dark Orange.
    Saved and closed the document.
    1. When I ran the mail merge I saw that the styles in Merge051.doc, the styles colours (but not the bulleting etc.) overrode the colours from Reasons051.doc.
    2. I set the local formatting in Reasons051.doc to be italic; that local italic formatting carried through correctly.
    3. I then reset styles in Merge051.doc from my Normal template (hence no colouring), and saw that the colouring of the styles in Reasons051.doc carried through.

So my three tests seem to indicate that your best bet, to make use of a variety of formatting, would be to use Styles in the mail merge document and local formatting (which I would detest except I can make big bucks eliminating it from user documents!) in the Reasons table.
    Of course, if you can isolate all formatting you'll be well-served.
    That is, use your basic template styles (probably Normal.dot) for the Merge.doc and apply customised styles in Reasons.doc.

Don't give up on styles, though; they solve more problems than they appear to cause.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: mail merge styles word (2000)

If you reset the Normal style in the merge doc, Normal text copied from the reasons doc into the merge doc should take on the default Normal style.
    If the csB style is present in your Normal.dot, the same should hold for text formatted with the csB style.
    If the csB style is not present in your Normal.dot, resetting it amounts to removing it, I presume. Text formatted with csB from the reasons document should then keep its dark orange color - copying the text will copy the csB style with it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: mail merge styles word (2000)

I agree with all you have said. And thanks for that!
    I am now running into a different problem which appears to have clouded the original problem with fonts, and am still in the process of resolution.
    The document that contains code-to-be-copied consists of two tables, both are accessed by the same methods (pass a string key and return the range of the appropriate table cell to be brought across).
    The two tables exhibit different behaviour, and I'm inclined to believe it is my code that holds the problem, but will now have to run further tests to see why one table appears to be different from another.