5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Conditional Formating (2003 SP2)

Good morning

Is there a way to conditional format a cell to accept different letters, for example I wanted a cell to turn yellow if an M, L, T or UA was entered into the cell, I tried the equals to option by putting ="M","L","T","UA" but it did not like it, if it can be done how do I phrase it

Thank you

Steve
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

Thanks

Re: Conditional Formating (2003 SP2)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by sdckapr on 01-Nov-07 07:38. Added PS, PPS)</P>Select A1
    Insert -name- define
    Name:
    MatchMe [Change name as desired]
    Refers to:
    =ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,{"M","L","T","UA"},0))
    [OK]

Select the range of cells for cond format
    Format - conditional formatting...
    Formula is
    =MatchMe
    [Format...]
    patterns(tab)
    Select yellow color
    [ok][ok]
    If the cell contains any of the items from the list given, it will be yellow.

An alternate solution to not use the name is to include a range of cells with the items to match (presume that "M","L","T", and "UA" are in D14). If the cond format is in cell A1:

Formula is
    =ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,$D$1:$D$4,0))
    [Format...]
    patterns(tab)
    Select yellow color
    [ok][ok]

Steve
    PS you may not use the formula:
    =ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,{"M","L","T","UA"},0))
    Directly as a cond formatting formula due to limitations in the coding. Arrays are not allowed...

PPS I suppose you could even use the more direct solution:
    Formula is
    =or(A1="M",A1="L",A1="T",A1="UA")
    patterns(tab)
    Select yellow color
    [ok][ok]

I prefer the MATCH with the list ....

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Steve

Thanks for your response, I fear that I may not have expressed the question correctly causing you a lot of bother. This all relates to my Holiday Planner where I am trying to avoid at all costs if possible to use VBA or Macros because I do not understand them and would not want to just copy and paste other peoples work without knowing why it works.

As pointed out to me by HansV Conditional Formatting is ideal for 3 colours so to try and cheat I thought that if an H was entered for Holiday the cell would turn red, Sick = Green, Maternity = Pink, I then got to thinking that the Red and Green would be the main ones so if I had a Miscellaneous ie. Yellow I could use COUNTIF's to show the number of M-Maternity, L-Lieu, T-Training and UA-Unauthorised

Probably becuase of my normal ineptitude I could not get any of the options to work, this may be in part due to the number of cells that require this condition D8:AH67, I had a limited success with the 'PPS' in your mail and selected all of the cells in the range and altertered the expression to

=OR($D$8:$AH$67="M",$D$8:$AH$67="L",$D$8:$AH$67="T ",$D$8:$AH$67="UA")

with the unexpected result that it turned the whole chart Yellow but it is on the right track, it seems daunting though as there are 2077 cells that require the format (31 columns x 67 rows at present) to have to enter the original formula into each and every cell x 12 for the months will take me a day or two!

Thanks very much indeed for you input and I will continue to experiment along these lines

Cheers

Steve
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

Thanks

You have to put individual cells in (eg just A1).

If you select D8:AH67 you only have to enter in the formula:
    =or(D8="M",D8="L",D8="T",D8="UA")

and it will "copy" the formula correctly since you are making the D8 relative...

Steve

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ah, thats better, Thank you Steve, I was trying to be to smart (if thats possible) works like a charm now

Cheers

Steve
    Cheers

Steve