5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Formatting used but where? (Word2003)

In the Task Pane, I'm looking at "Formatting in use". I'm cleaning up, removing and replacing formatting. I now have quite some entries left that behave strange... Why I right click a formatting-name, it says e.g. "Select all 3 instances" (this is how I look where the formatting is used and decide to change or leave this alone).
    The strange thing is that for some remaining formatting, I DO get messages like "Select all x instances", indicating that the formatting is used in the document BUT... nothing actually is selected (and current selections are left alone). This way I don't know where they are... seems like a bug. Is this known? Is there a workaround?

Thanks,

EJ

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Formatting used but where? (Word2003)

Could your document contain hidden text? Check this by ticking "Hidden text" in the View tab of Tools | Options.
    Or could it contain hidden tracked changes? Check this by selecting "Final with markup" in the dropdown on the left hand side of the Reviewing toolbar.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No hidden text (it's on); no (remaining) tracked changes...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Would it be possible to create a small document that illustrates the problem from one of the problem documents, and attach it?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If I try that and take the original and delete most text, somewhere in the process also the orphaned styles disappear. It seems they are somewhere. It's a long document, I'll see if I can find out when it disappears but that's a lot of trial and error I'm afraid

Lounger
    Thanks

I get this also. For me, it is usually a table cell that has formatting but the text within that cell does not.