Star Lounger
    Thanks

Magnification changes (2003/2007)

I have macros connected to keystrokes that enable me to quickly cycle through "normal view", "page layout view - 1 page", and "page layout view - 2 pages". For "2 pages", the macro says "PageColumns = 2", "PageRows = 1", and Magnication = 100%. NOTE: If you change to "2 pages" manually, Word chooses a magnification other than 100% (on my current monitor, 79%).

If I'm in "2 pages/100%", Word will sometimes change the magnification to 79% (for example, after Alt+Tabbing to and from a different application). This annoys me. I'm not sure what the conditions are. I thought it was Alt+Tabbing to a different application, but sometimes this doesn't create the problem. Another possible candidate is Ctrl+F6'ing to and from another Word document.

I think it's something to do with the way the macros set up the "2 pages" view. I think this because:<UL><LI>If I use the macros to go to "2 pages/100%", then go into PrintPreview and out again, the problem always occurs.
    <LI>But if I set up the "2 pages/100%" manually, the problem never occurs.[/list]Some of the code follows. Any ideas?

<pre> With ActiveWindow
    .View = wdNormalView
    .View = wdPageView
    With .View.Zoom
    .PageColumns = 2
    .PageRows = 1
    .Percentage = 100
    End With
    End With
    </pre>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Magnification changes (2003/2007)

Your instructions are contradictory. You must either specify the number of pages to display *or* the zoom percentage, not both. By setting the percentage to 100, you temporarily overrule the 2 by 1 page setting. If you switch back and forth, Word "remembers" the 2 by 1 page setting and adjusts the percentage accordingly.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I wonder if you're right, Hans? If I manually (in Word) change the view to 2x1, then change the magnification to 100%, everything displays as expected AND the settings survive going into and out of page preview. Doesn't this demonstrate that setting the magnification to 100% doesn't override the 2x1 instruction? And, if so, shouldn' I be able to do this programmatically?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

My monitor isn't large enough to verify that. If I select "2 pages" from the zoom dropdown (or from the View | Zoom dialog), Word sets the zoom percentage to 72%. If I then select 100%, I get one page again, not two pages.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You'll probably be able to confirm that the "manual" approach works by using a percentage of less than 100%. Depending on your monitor, you may find that 80% (for example) retains 2x1, and you can then see if it retains 80% after going into and out of print preview.

By the way, I'm not certain what it means, but the following is interesting:<UL><LI>Manually select 2x1 (you can see two pages)
    <LI>Manually change to PageWidth (you can see one page)
    <LI>Manually change to 25% (you can see many pages)[/list]... which seems to prove that manually selecting PageWidth doesn't actually change from 2x1 to 1x1. It actually remains as 2x1, but the magnification is such that only one page is visible. Does this make sense? And does it matter?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If I use the manual sequence you mention, I get many pages next to each other.
    If I use the code

With ActiveWindow.View.Zoom
    .PageColumns = 2
    .PageRows = 1
    .Percentage = 25
    End With

I get two pages next to each other, and as many vertically as will fit the screen.

By now, it's not entirely clear to me what you want to accomplish.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

To recap:<UL><LI>I have macros connected to keystrokes that toggle quickly through "normal view", "page layout view - 1 page", and "page layout view - 2 pages" (with each view magnified to a percentage I specify in the macros).
    <LI>The macros work.
    <LI>But the settings sometimes don't persist.[/list]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

But why do you want to specify a percentage in full page view and 2 page view?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Because Word doesn't take full advantage of the space available, with the result that the two-page format is difficult to read. By notching up the magnification a little, I can have my cake and eat it.

Yes, I know, I could get an even larger screen, or buy a magnifying glass, or take some get-younger pills, but I'd rather just increase the magnification. This is legitimate. I used to do it manually. Then I decided to automate it. The automation works (exept that the settings don't always stick). I wonder why.

However, you've already given me a great deal of your time, so I mustn't let my frustration show. Since I can't identify the logical error in my code (assuming there is one), I'll just progressively identify all the events that cause the problem and write code to rectify it.

Thanks for your patience.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I hope that you'll be able to work around the problem.