New Lounger
    Thanks

I am very green to Excel and need help (excel 2003)

I heard that one could extract excel data and "push" data into excel without Excel being opened. I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how to do this. I am interested in both the coming and going of data bidrectionally through Excel.

Keep in mind I have not a lot of experience in Excel. If I ask stupid questions, please forgive...

Thanks!

Pat

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: I am very green to Excel and need help (excel 2003)

I don't know of a way to do that, but perhaps you mean the following:

Say that you have two workbooks, A.xls and B.xls.
    You can create cell formulas in A.xls that retrieve values from B.xls, for example:
    <code>
    ='C:Excel[B.xls]Sheet1!$A$1
    </code>
    This formula will display the value from cell A1 on Sheet1 even if B.xls is closed. But of course, A.xls needs to be open in Excel to see it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I have no idea how to interact with ACT! Perhaps someone else will have a suggestion.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I have the contact manger database ACT! and an addin called Excel Templates by a company called Expoenciel.com. The information can be pushed to an Excel template from ACT! and it pushes the information right back into other fields in ACT! based on some formula in Excel already there in Excel. Excel calculates based on the formulas in Excel using .XBT. I don't know what .XBT is, but what I am trying to do is to get a list of other information into that saved excel file and then when the field information is pushed into Excel, I want it to look at one of the rows and fill in the other fields based on the 1 field pushed into Excel. Then the information is pushed back into ACT! database. The field pushed into Excel will look for the same row that has the field value.

I need to find a way to get this list into that Excel template and have it search for that row that has the field match the field pushed into ACT!

Is this clear? I hope it is.

Pat