Thread: real player

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

real player

Twice in the past week I have gotten a pop up that said there was a critical update for real player. On each occasion I said install and on both occasions the update has locked up my system and I had to reboot. I run AVG and Spyware Dr and they have not fussed about any viruses or spyware from real player. I normally run FireFox but it looked like the real player update was trying to use IE.

I just un-installed real player and started thinking about it.

I don't know where or when real player was installed and I am not sure that I ever use it. Are there occasions where I would need real player? Will I have problems if I don't track the software down and reinstall it?

Thanks
    Tom

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: real player

Ten years ago or so, RealPlayer was a popular media player, and it was virtually inescapable if you wanted to play videos on your PC. However, it has gradually become less popular over the years. Nowadays, there are few websites left that use the RealPlayer format, so you probably won't miss it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

There is also an alternative to RealPlayer, imaginatively called Real Alternative

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's better than the Real RealPlayer, but who needs either these days? It's been a while since I encountered a site that offered media in realplayer format.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks - that's kind of what I thought - I don't remember last time I used it

Tom

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

UK users will know that BBC online audio and video content is often in Real format - They have a reduced version of RealPlayer with fewer of those annoying features found in the usual version.

However, one very good reason for having RealPlayer installed is the recording of four Richard Feynman lectures available through the Vega Trust.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I know that the BBC offers content in RealPlayer format, but while this used to be the only format in the past, they now offer most or all of it in a format for Windows Media Player too.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Although you can listen to most of their streamed broadcasts using Windows Media, you can only access the Listen Again service using RealPlayer.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps it's because I automatically visit the International version of the BBC website instead of the domestic version, but for many programmes in the Listen Again service, I can choose between Windows Media Player and RealPlayer. See screenshot.
    I admit that this isn't true for Radio 3. This only lets me use the stand-alone RealPlayer, not the BBC Radio Player or Windows Media Player.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (21.8 KB, 0 views)