Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

blue-lit power button on the laptop (Win XP)

What is the advantage, if any, of going through Start, Shutdown, TurnOFF (or the software equivalent e.g. by Shutdown.exe) rather than using the blue-lit power button on the laptop?

The laptop power button shuts down the system in seconds flat, with no appreciable hard drive activity.
    Both methods appear to prompt well for unsaved work etc.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: blue-lit power button on the laptop (Win XP)

Pressing the power button probably causes the laptop to hibernate instead of shutdown - see the Power Management control panel.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

If you bypass standard Windows shutdown routine (closing running applications, closing services, creating Restore point, etc) - by pressing power button for 5 sec., for instance - on the next boot Windows will mark your previous startup as crash and will automatically restore Registry backup from the latest successful startup. That means, all changes which were made in the Registry after your previous startup will be gone. If you did not neither install any new programs, nor change your computer settings nor configuration, such type of shutdown will be harmless. You can use this method or a similar utility (as SuperFast Shutdown), just do not forget to restart your computer after any change you made to your computer configuration (installing new program, changing screen resolution, etc.)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> probably causes the laptop to hibernate instead of shutdown
    Hmmm. Interesting. Thanks for the nudge ....

I saw a hiber*.sys in my C: this morning. And found that Hibernation was enabled. I disabled same and the file disappeared.
    I've never been a keen fan of hibernation, mainly because while I understood the concept it never seems to do what i expected.
    I feel that a reboot is a cleaner, better restart than a hibernate.
    Of course, this could also be a reflection of my work habits (either working from home or from a "home" desk at a client site). Or that my laptop still seems blindingly fast to various otger computers that I see.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> automatically restore Registry backup from the latest successful startup.
    Thanks. I didn't know that. I have relied in the past on (a) uninstalling/deleting the installed application and then ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] running ToniArts EasyCleaner 9although the home page seems to have 404'd)

> similar utility (as SuperFast Shutdown),
    Thanks for this tip, too. I have d/l a copy to see how it feels.
    I curently use Quicklaunch icons to two batch files, ShutDown.bat and ReBoot.bat, both of which turn of my billing meter and bypass WindowsXP updates.<pre>REM C:BATLapShutDown.bat
    REM Monday, September 17, 2007
    call "%userprofile%application dataGreavesbillt"BillT.bat
    ShutDown.exe -s -f -t 00
    REM end of C:BATLapShutDown.bat
    </pre>

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

By usning SHUTDOWN command (shutdown.exe) you DO NOT bypass shutdown routine. The switches you are using:
    -s - shutdown (-r - restart);
    -f - force all running applications to close;
    -t 00 - no delay (00 - delay time in seconds, max. 600)

Try to use SuperFast Shutdown, and you will see the difference.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> you DO NOT bypass shutdown routine.
    Oh I know that. The whole purpose of my batch file is to shut down the computer. I get asked to save unsaved files etc, exactly as I should be, but I don't have to wait while Windows updates itself.

> Try to use SuperFast Shutdown, and you will see the difference.
    Sorry, but no.
    There's no discernable difference between SuperFast Shutdown and the blue power button. (I haven't sat by with a stop watch, just used Superfast for a day or so and haven't felt any better for it than using the laptop's power button)
    The laptop power button shuts down the system in seconds flat, with no appreciable hard drive activity.
    The SuperFast Shutdown shuts down the system in seconds flat, with no appreciable hard drive activity.

Using Turnoff computer, Turn Off from the Start button is disgustingly slow.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

By using the power button to shut down a system you are going to end up clobbering your hard drive sooner or later. I have seen some of these that the system had to be rebuilt with the lose of the files and settings.

This is why the 5-10 second delay on the power button, so one would not kill their system with their knee (remember where the power button is on the older machines?).

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

But there is a difference between holding the power button for the delay time forced shutdown, and simply pressing the power button for the OS controlled shutdown.

For example, when I press the power button on my employer's thinkpad, the WindowsXP OS setting is to do a shutdown (sleep button goes to stand by, as does closing the lid). On my personal thinkpad, I've setup the power button to tell Ubuntu to hibernate (sleep button and lid are not configured (yet)).
    Christopher Baldrey

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Chris Baldrey,
    You are correct.

But chrisgreaves is talking about just powering it down to a completely OFF mode and NOT using the gentle power down of all services and programs.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.