3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Consolidation (2003)

I need some advice please on consolidating databases

I have 3 separate divisions which are accounted for using 3 separate access databases, each of which has an identical file structure. The reasoning behind this is that 3 seperate groups need to do their work in parallel and sometimes off line.

I now need to consolidate the databases on a monthly basis and join related tables through union. Given that there are 20 tables in each database I am concerned that a manual process will be time consuming and prone to error. Can somebody please advise on the best way forward?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Consolidation (2003)

You can create a central database and use File | Get External Data | Link Tables to create links to the tables in the three databases.
    Access will name the linked tables automatically, but you can change the names to reflect the database they come from, for example by a prefix before the name. You will have to do this only once.
    Next, create union queries to combine related data from the three databases.
    You can use these as basis for further queries, forms and reports.

Note: If you prefer to work with local data, or if the union queries are very slow, you can create make-table queries based on the union queries, and use the resulting tables instead of the union queries. You'd have to re-run the make-table queries from time to time to keep the local tables up-to-date.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Consolidation (2003)

Thanks Hans - I will try that