5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Combo box on form (2003)

When I click the dropdown box on a combo box on a form, I have 8 fields. When I select one of the choices, I only get the first field. Is there a way to get all 8 fields to show ? Probably not, but I thought I would ask.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Combo box on form (2003)

The text box part of a combo box only shows the first visible column. You can create text boxes that will automatically show the value of other columns. For example, a text box with control source

=[NameOfTheComboBox].[Column](3)

will display the value of the 4th column (counting starts at 0, so 0 = 1st column, 1 = 2nd column etc.)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried what you suggested. When the form opens the txt boxes show the first row correctly but when I choose another the text boxes do not change.

My next problem:
    I have a query that is a summary that has indicators like Y Y Y Y YYN and a total clients for that scenario. These are the fields in the combo box. There are 58 different combinations of the indicators with each having the number of clients that have that scenario. In the combo box on the form you can pick one of the scenarios with the number of clients having that scenario. My problem is I want to use a subform to show the detail of each scenario but I don't know how to link it to the summary. Is this possible? The count of clients is what I want to see the detail for.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm confused. Could you post a stripped down copy of your database? See <post#=401925>post 401925</post#> for instructions.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The text boxes work OK, but the problem is that the record source of Form1, i.e. the query confusingly named qry_in49_counties_forform2, is not updatable since it is a totals query. So you cannot add or modify records.

I don't understand why you want a form and subform, since they are both indirectly based on the same table AAData.

Can you explain what you are trying to accomplish?

New Lounger
    Thanks

If you could see the whole database, it probably would make more sense. I am trying to do what a pivot table is doing. The y and n indicators tell the reps what products clients have at a high level for instance Y for health Y for vision N for dental N for UCCI etc - for that scenario there are say 49 clients. Then I wanted to show on the form the detail for the 49 clients - their name , number of contracts, number of members. Since that query is not updatable - could I bring it into another query and use that query or would that still be not undatable? If this is not possible to do, I will go with the pivot table.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know which field identifies the client, so I don't understand what your forms try to do. Perhaps the main form should not be bound to a record source at all.

As far as I can tell, the data design is not ideal. There appear to be lots of repeated fields in the table. It would be better to split the table so that repeated fields become separate records in a subtable. (The fields with sequential numbers in their names are obvious candidates).

New Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have a choice about the data. This is data from a data cube . They want me to create reports from this data which for some reason the data cube can't do right now so in the interim they need reports from this data until they get the data cube to work correctly. My part is basically done except they wanted some drill down report if possible. I created a Pivot table but it takes a while to open and when you try to scroll down the hour glass starts to run. I just thought if I could create a form that shows the high level and then show the detail too it might be easier to work with I guess I was thinking too much.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I hope that someone else will be able to help.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Linda

I note you mention OLAP Cube data and I see that from this there is quite a lot of dimensional structure, of which I am unsure of the context but by its very nature it is aggregate.

I started by creating a form using the wizard binding

RCAC_HLH_IN
    RCAC_HCH_VIS_IN
    RCAC_HCH_SR_IN
    RCAC_HLH_DEN_IN
    RCAC_NCCI_IN
    RCAC_HMIG_IN
    RCAC_DAVIS_IN
    UNQCL_ID

Saving this form, I then put it into Design View and the pressed Ctrl + Comma to toggle until I got to Pivot Table View or Pivot Chart View. Once there I dragged the relevant fields to the chart/Table.

Although not an answer to your specific data, this is the best way to view dimensional cube data HTH
    Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am attaching a stripped down version. Form1 is the form I have the combo box on. Also I want to put a subform on this form. I have a subform form that I created. I used two queries - one is at summary level and the other query I have the detail. I wanted to link the two but I don't know how. Let me know if I have confused you more.