3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Scanning and filling out forms (Word XP)

Today I downloaded a program called Form Pilot. It allows you to scan a paper form and then fill in the blanks. Basically it brings the form in as an image and then uses a nice little text editor to write anywhere you want on the image......i.e., in the entry field areas. Works pretty well for the registration price of $29.00.

Makes me wonder though if I couldn't pull the same thing off using Word. Only problem is that whenever I've brought an image into Word I've found I can only type "around" the image, not on top of it. Perhaps this can be done but I don't know how.

I guess I could use a good Optical Character Recognition software package to do this, but was wondering if the capabilities already exist in Word.

Thanks,
    BH

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Scanning and filling out forms (Word XP)

You can place a picture behind text:

1) Select the picture.
    Select Format | Picture...
    Activate the Layout tab.
    Select the "Behind text" option.
    Click OK.
    You'll be able to move the picture around and to type over it.

Note: if you need to move the picture if it is "covered" by text, activate the Drawing toolbar and click the "Select objects" button. You can now click on the picture. Don't forget to turn off "Select objects" when you want to work with text again.

2) You can insert the picture in the header, using Format | Background | Printed watermark. Even if you turn off the Washout check box, the picture will still be faded. An advantage is that the picture won't interfere with the body text.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Scanning and filling out forms (Word XP)

Hans,

Thanks. I've tried that before unsuccessfully. Now that you've told me it's what works I persisted experimenting a bit. I found that if I first typed on the bare screen just above the image, I could then move the image under the text and continue typing anywhere I wanted over the image. I've never tried moving the image like that before, but it certainly did the trick.

I'll start using this more and more I think.

As always...much appreciated.

BH