3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge with Access oddness (2002 SP3)

Something very odd is happening. I am doing a mail merge with a query in Access. E-mail addresses appear in a field called E-mail addresses; surnames in a field called surnames and so on.

However, when I try to create a mail merge with the query, the information seems to be under the wrong headings. The screenshot attached shows you what I get. The last name field has the suffixes; the first name field has the surnames; the e-mail addresses are appeaing as a country. Moreover, the fields are not in the same order at all as they are in Access.

Can anyone see what is going on here, and how this could be remedied?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge with Access oddness (2002 SP3)

That's a weird problem! Try the following:
    - Select Tools | Options...
    - Activate the General tab.
    - Tick the check box "Confirm conversion at Open".
    - Click OK.
    - Open the merge document.
    - Activate the mail merge wizard (task pane).
    - Go to step 3 and click Select a different list.
    - Browse to the Access database and click Open.
    - You'll be asked to select a method for connecting to the database.
    - Experiment with selecting the different options (OLE DB, DDE and ODBC) to see if one of them works correctly.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. That gets some of the way, but not perfectly. I'm going to experiment with a second machine. Other databases and merges don't seem to be a proble, and so I am wondering if there is something odd about this particular database.

More as I discover what's happening.

best

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think the problem is with the Access database (and perhaps therefore not really for this forum?)
    With other databases I have on the system, there does not seem to be any problem. But the problem does occur on both my machines, and so it's unlikely to be about how Word is set up.
    If I try other ways of connecting from Word to the DB than the standard ole-db,, then:
    on DDE, it works, but it doesn't carry over the right order in the query from Access, and won't let me edit this in Word
    Via ODBC, the connection opens only tables, not queries.

This does indeed seem weird. Would really like to sort this, since it's vital for a routine I use regularly.
    So: neitehr

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

To see queries when using ODBC, click Options... in the Select Table dialog, tick the Views check box and click OK.

If you wish, you can post a stripped down copy of the problem database (we'd need only the relevant tables and query, no forms etc.)
    See <post#=401925>post 401925</post#> for instructions.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I've found the option to get it through ODBC, and that gives me what I need.
    I'd like to go for the option of uploading the database. The difficulty is (and could this perhaps be the problem?) is that one of the key tables in the offending database is actually stored in another database: anyone looking at it will have to re-establish the link on their own machine.
    Philip

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here is a version of the offending database, seriously stripped down and without the linked table, and just three entries in each table. This version maintains the problem on my system.

Would be grateful for help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's not your database, at least not really.

OLE DB clearly has a bug, it's my least favorite method of connecting to a database anyway.

DDE and ODBC both bring in the data correctly, and if you dig into the innards of the mail merge, you'll find that they don't disturb the order of the fields. Word does that at the last stage, I think it recognizes LastName to EMailAddress as "standard" mail merge fields and therefore displays them at the front of the list.

I don't think there is anything you can do about that, it's hard-coded into Word.
    But since DDE and ODBC do bring in the data under the correct headings, I don't see a real problem in using them.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I still, however, have a problem. I need to sort the data according to a field called running order.
    The query in question is based on two related tables: one about authors and their addresses, and one for each individual piece of writing (the latter includes 'running order').
    If I use an ODBC link to do the merge, I can sort the data according to any field originating in the authors table, but not in the table relating to pieces of writing. Nor does it make any difference if I do the job in Access first.
    You can't see the problem on the three records I uploaded because they're in the right order anyway.
    My guess is that this may be something to do with the relationship between the underlying Access tables--but would be grateful for any further thoughs.

best

Philip

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I don't get this. I change the values of the Running Order field in the Table_Writing table so that they weren't in ascending order any more, then specified the query Query_Writing_Current_Issue to be sorted on Running Order.
    I then created a mail merge in Word (using ODBC) based on the query Query_Writing_Current_Issue. The records came into Word sorted by Running Order.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

my stupidity here ... because I didn't have this problem before, I wasn't actually specifying the order of the query in Access, but at most pressing the A-Z button on the toolbar--and that latter wasn't carrying over to Word in the merge.

Thank you so much--this merge is central to some vital routines for my office.